Statistics' New Zealand is targeting the digital component of next year's census.
Statistics minister Maurice Williamson today announced recruitment has now begun ahead of the March 5, 2013, mass data collection.
Last year’s census did not go ahead because of the February 22 earthquake.
Statistics New Zealand is expecting next year’s census to cost $72 million – $18 million less than the budget for 2011.
Officials say it is because they can take advantage of the preparation already under way.
Mr Williamson says Statistics New Zealand is looking to employ 440 district supervisors and, later this year, 7500 collectors.
The internet uptake last census was low, and officials are hoping to encourage many more people to submit their statistics online.
Statistics NZ is expecting to count up to 4.6 million people and 1.8 million dwellings.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- Matthew Hooton on Labour party’s reaction to the budget 2016
- Rodney Hide says the attack by University of Auckland over overfishing is nonsense
- Do social bonds make sense? Tim Hunter tells Andrew Patterson it’s not just about the warm fuzzies
- Cameron Officer talks about the car of the week - Volkswagen California Ocean