Apple customers have downloaded more than 40 billion apps, with two billion-plus just in December.
And half of the total – 20 billion – were downloaded in 2012 on iPhones, iPods or iPod Touch.
The 10 billion milestone came in early 2011 and the 25 billion mark in March last year.
Updates or re-downloads are not included.
Apple's app store, which opened in 2008, has more than 500 million active accounts and 775,000 individual apps are available.
The company says it has so far paid more than $US7 billion to app developers.
By the end of 2012, 25 billlion Google Android apps had been downloaded - 15 billion of them over the past 12 months.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Green party co-leader James Shaw and Business NZ's John Carnegie go head-to-head on the ETS review
- Cream Trading CEO Kevin O'Sullivan on why dairy companies might want to sign up to the new trading platform
- Paul Brislen on the merits of "cutting off the money" versus Netflix' technical attempts to shut-out unblockers
- Westpac's Dominick Stephens says dairy prices are still a major concern, despite El Niño fears fading
- London School of Economics Professor John Kay discusses financial regulatory shortcomings