Air New Zealand has kept its stake in partner airline Virgin Australia, buying 49.1 million shares to retain ownership at 19.99% after Singapore Airlines joined the shareholder register.
New Zealand's national carrier made the transaction at the same time as Singapore Airlines was issued a 10% stake in Virgin, it says in a statement. No dollar figure was put on the purchase, which at today's trading price equals some $A23.81 million.
Last month, Singapore Airlines paid $A105 million for a stake in Virgin, which was subsequently used to buy 60% of Tiger Airways and all of Skywest Airlines.
Virgin issued 245.6 million shares to Singapore Airlines at an issue price of 42.88 Australian cents apiece, meaning Air NZ had to buy more to prevent its own stake being diluted.
Air NZ says its purchase of Virgin shares equated to 2% of the Australian airline's stock.
The New Zealand carrier's shares rose 2.9% to $1.24 in trading today and have rallied 34% this year. Virgin's last traded at 48.5 Australian cents on the ASX.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Eroad CEO Steven Newman talks about his company's revenue increase
- Nathan Smith discusses the latest foreign affairs news
- NZ Windfarms departing director Michael Stiassny speaks out after board exit
- James Mayo talks about SOS Hydration's growth plans after Snowball offer
- Michael Wood on whether he would run in Mt Roskill
- SAFE's Abi Izzard quizzed over protest of a caged hen operation at Pukekohe
- Nevil Gibson talks about Editor's Insight on the planned $US150 million merger between Pfizer and Allergan
- Taupo Beef’s Mike Barton on how to extract sustainable profit from farming
- Will the government lose on RMA reform? Rob Hosking outlines the PM's speech
- How could bookmakers recoup $16 million? Racing Board chief executive John Allen explains
- Nevil Gibson breaks down the latest aviation news
- BusinessNZ manager of energy, environment and infrastructure John Carnegie talks about the climate change survey