A swag of new Knights and more than a few Dames will mean some updating in the business community’s A list invitation lists.
Government House has announced 47 new Knights and 23 new Dames among 88 who received the equivalent of titular honours since they were abolished by the Labour government in 2000 and before their restoration this year.
Eleven people turned down titular titles. A few others, who already had titular honours, had their designations upgraded – for example, Sir Patrick Goodman.
So get used to new titles for some of the country’s best known business people, such as Sir Eion Edgar, Sir George Fistonich, Sir John Goulter, Sir Peter Maire, Sir Ralph Norris, Sir Noel Robinson, Sir Kenneth Stevens, Sir Stephen Tindall, Sir Henry van der Heyden and Sir John Wells.
The legal profession has a baker’s dozen of Knights – judges Sir Noel Anderson, Sir Peter Blanchard, Sir David Carruthers, Sir Edward Jurie, Sir Thomas Gault, Sir John Hansen, Sir John Henry, Sir Patrick Mahony, Sir John McGrath, Sir Edmund Thomas, Sir Andre Tipping, Sir Peter Trapski and Sir William Young.
Among the lawyers are Sir David Gascoigne, Dame Deirdre Milne and Dame Alison Quentin-Baxter as well as former privacy commissioner Sir Bruce Slane.
Former politicians are honoured – Sir Douglas Kidd, Dame Margaret Shields and Dame Jenny Shipley and Dame Sukhi Turner – as are Maori leaders Sir Harawira Gardiner and Sir Ralph Love.
Distinguished academics and scientists – Sir Donald Beaven, Dame Judith Binney, Sir Paul Callaghan, Dame Margaret Clark, Sir David Frampton, Sir Peter Gluckman, Sir Sidney Mead and Dame Claudia Orange.
Sport and artistic identities include Dame Christine Cole Catley, Sir Russell Coutts, Dame Lynley Hood, Sir Colin Meads, Dame Lois Muir, Sir Peter Siddell and Sir Peter Snell.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Soccer shocker: beIN won't launch standalone streaming service in NZ
- No foundation for fears programme closure will adversely impact exports – Callaghan
- Science or Snake Oil: is A2 milk better for you than regular cow’s milk?
- Vista shares down 7% on higher expectations
- Cannabis reform needed but please cut the crap
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- “Cut the cuteness about cannabis reform” - Matthew Hooton
- Rodney Hide thinks Winston Peters will be the future Maori king
- Ethical investment in Kiwisaver - David Cohen vs. Matt Nippert
- Hunter’s Corner: Time for a line in the copyright sand