Member log in

Auckland acid spill: WorkSafe NZ on the scene

Residents in Auckland’s Mount Albert have been told to stay indoors following an acid spill from an NZTA worksite.

Fire service spokesman Scott Osmond says the workers at the Waterview connection discovered a 1000 litre container of hydrochloric acid had been pierced, causing an acid cloud across the suburbs of Mt Albert and New Windsor.

The spill is on Hendon Ave and fumes are drifting south west towards Methuen Road, Batkin Rd, Bollard Ave and New Windsor Road.

Workplace health and safety regulator WorkSafe confirmed an inspector is at the scene but it will take considerable time to work out if there had been health and safety breaches. 

Residents are advised to stay indoors, close their windows and turn their air conditioning systems off until further notice.

Neutralising agents are being used at the scene and there has been no spread of fluid or gas.

While 15 fire trucks are still at the scene and roads are still cordoned off, Mr Osmond says by the time most residents arrive home from work the situation will be cleared up.