Auckland business confidence has hit what the chamber of commerce says is a "surprising" 12-month low.
The latest Auckland Chamber of Commerce quarterly business confidence survey, using responses from almost 1000 business owners and managers, shows net confidence in the country's business situation is 11%.
Chamber chief executive Michael Barnett says he is surprised at the results.
"It seems uncertainty in the economy is delaying businesses making decisions to grow and employ and yet that uncertainty is unnecessary," he says in a statement.
“We have so many major projects in Auckland that could be accelerated and used to stimulate our economy.
"Instead, we have businesses that have trimmed down while waiting for a recovery that has not arrived and now they are looking at further cuts to their businesses."
Finding skilled staff is difficult, particularly in the technology/communications and retail sectors, the survey suggests, while other business owners remain bullish.
“The survey shows a definite trend towards businesses tightening the belt and continuing to reduce expenditure.”
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- My Food Bag seeks investors after 'a number' of offers
- Tegel chairman praises private equity owner after solid NZX listing
- FMA defends formal warning over prosecution in anti-money laundering breach
- Windfarms investors set up showdown with Vector
- Patent law changes: government rush to please Aussies will hurt NZ business
Most listened to
- My Food Bag co-chief executive Cecilia Robinson discusses what its capital restructure might be made of
- Anthony Harper partner Jennifer Mills on the question: Uber drivers - contractors or employees?
- The government has backed itself into a corner into over how patent attorneys are regulated, says Rob Hosking
- In his Editor’s Insight, Nevil Gibson says the Australian Budget is a curtain-raiser for an election
- What's behind ASB's forecast of GDP growth at 4%? NBR's Jason Walls talks to ASB chief economist Nick Tuffley to find out