Auckland real estate firm Barfoot & Thompson's new listings more than doubled in January from December while the average sale price fell, suggesting the city's overheated property market is luring more sellers.
Auckland's biggest real estate firm listed 1440 properties in January, the highest for that month in five years and up 40 percent from January 2012. The firm had 697 listings in December.
The average sale price last month was $600,754, the first time it has exceeded $600,000 for January. That is up 13 percent from a year earlier and down from $624,015 in December. The average price hit a record $627,721 in November.
New listings in January outpaced the 820 properties sold by Barfoot in the month, which was a six-year high and up 20 percent from a year earlier.
Of the total properties sold, 47 percent were under $500,000 and about 16 percent below $300,000. There were 68 homes sold for more than $1 million.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Warminger stood to gain significant bonus, court hears
- Mortgage rates have bottomed, regardless of further OCR cuts
- Where polls stand on the eve of the first US presidential debate
- 'Real housewife' lawyers up, accuses Devoy of bullying, defamation
- Sky will take a gamble and put Westworld, aka 'the next Game of Thrones' on Neon
Most listened to
- FMA counsel Justin Smith QC described Mr Warminger’s background and the pressure he was under to perform
- Media Snapchat: NBR’s Nick Grant ponders the Human Rights Commission’s role in RHOAKL racism row
- ASB's Jane Turner discusses what's behind NZ's widest month trade deficit
- Kathmandu's Xavier Simonet and Reuben Casey talk through the retailer's results.
- BNZ's Kymberly Martin and Massey University's David Tripe on mortgage rates.