German magazine giant Bauer has received Commerce Commission clearance to purchase several APN magazines, including two mass-market weekly titles.
They include New Zealand Woman’s Weekly, NZ Listener, Simply You, Simply You Living and Crème.
The commission says the proposed acquisition will not substantially lessen competition in the supply of current affairs magazines, mass market weekly women’s magazines, women’s interest magazines and magazine advertising.
Commission chairman Mark Berry says the merged firm will still face competition from suppliers of other magazines and alternative platforms such as TV, newspapers and the internet.
Bauer New Zealand chief executive Paul Dykzeul earlier told NBR ONLINE while Bauer's titles include Metro, North and South and Woman's Day, no titles will be merged under the deal.
About 65 staff affected by the deal and 30-40 have been offered contracts to see them kept on after Bauer takes over.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Tech commentator Paul Brislen breaks down the latest telco sector report
- NBR reporter Tim Hunter discusses Intueri's problems
- NZ ambassador to Turkey Jonathan Curr talks about improving Turkish - NZ relations
- Hamish McNicol discusses Masala Restaurants and Kim Dotcom in this week's Court Report
- Conflict controversies, increased sports rights competition and MIA IPOs: Chelsea Armitage and Nick Grant on NZ media