German magazine giant Bauer has received Commerce Commission clearance to purchase several APN magazines, including two mass-market weekly titles.
They include New Zealand Woman’s Weekly, NZ Listener, Simply You, Simply You Living and Crème.
The commission says the proposed acquisition will not substantially lessen competition in the supply of current affairs magazines, mass market weekly women’s magazines, women’s interest magazines and magazine advertising.
Commission chairman Mark Berry says the merged firm will still face competition from suppliers of other magazines and alternative platforms such as TV, newspapers and the internet.
Bauer New Zealand chief executive Paul Dykzeul earlier told NBR ONLINE while Bauer's titles include Metro, North and South and Woman's Day, no titles will be merged under the deal.
About 65 staff affected by the deal and 30-40 have been offered contracts to see them kept on after Bauer takes over.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Bayleys fined $2.2m, Success Realty fined $900,000 in first of 13 price-fixing cases
- Equity crowdfunding progress sluggish for most licensed platforms
- TOYBOX: Sony XB3 portable speaker
- New lawyers not doing 'much better' than job at McDonald's – report surprises
- Rival ISP broadband price check websites do battle
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- Matthew Hooton on the state of the British Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn
- Rodney Hide on the Ombudsman’s investigation into SSC conduct of MFAT leaks inquiry
- David Cohen on how to walk out of a TV interview
- Imperial Tobacco lobbyist insists NZ visit about “contributing expertise,” not pressuring government on plain packaging law