Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
German magazine giant Bauer has received Commerce Commission clearance to purchase several APN magazines, including two mass-market weekly titles.
They include New Zealand Woman’s Weekly, NZ Listener, Simply You, Simply You Living and Crème.
The commission says the proposed acquisition will not substantially lessen competition in the supply of current affairs magazines, mass market weekly women’s magazines, women’s interest magazines and magazine advertising.
Commission chairman Mark Berry says the merged firm will still face competition from suppliers of other magazines and alternative platforms such as TV, newspapers and the internet.
Bauer New Zealand chief executive Paul Dykzeul earlier told NBR ONLINE while Bauer's titles include Metro, North and South and Woman's Day, no titles will be merged under the deal.
About 65 staff affected by the deal and 30-40 have been offered contracts to see them kept on after Bauer takes over.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- 'I guess I'm back to piracy' — Auckland man as HBO NOW follows through on cut-off threat
- Dollar heads for 1.7% weekly decline after Reserve Bank rules out rate rises
- The Moxie Sessions: Will the last person out of Ohura please turn out the lights (but for the love of God don’t unplug the navigation beacon)
- Crying wolf as climate change takes a ‘hiatus’
- Rodney Hide is wrong on climate change