German magazine giant Bauer has received Commerce Commission clearance to purchase several APN magazines, including two mass-market weekly titles.
They include New Zealand Woman’s Weekly, NZ Listener, Simply You, Simply You Living and Crème.
The commission says the proposed acquisition will not substantially lessen competition in the supply of current affairs magazines, mass market weekly women’s magazines, women’s interest magazines and magazine advertising.
Commission chairman Mark Berry says the merged firm will still face competition from suppliers of other magazines and alternative platforms such as TV, newspapers and the internet.
Bauer New Zealand chief executive Paul Dykzeul earlier told NBR ONLINE while Bauer's titles include Metro, North and South and Woman's Day, no titles will be merged under the deal.
About 65 staff affected by the deal and 30-40 have been offered contracts to see them kept on after Bauer takes over.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Innovation and infrastructure still holding back NZ's international competitiveness
- Warminger’s FPH trade ‘a game-changer’: Forsyth Barr
- Politics: Labour and Green parties shuffle their decks
- Pumpkin Patch loss widens 71% as sales slide, debt mounts
- Hydroworks already 'third of a way through' Australian capital raise
Most listened to
- Hydroworks CEO Andrew Rodwell on the company's prospects post-funding.
- Trading with Milford’s “Ming” – Goldmans and Forbars give evidence at Warminger trial
- CBL managing director Peter Harris on the insurer's future plans.
- In Editor's Insight, Nevil Gibson finds women are still under-represented at all levels of the corporate ladder
- Privacy Commissioner John Edwards on a pending law change that will affect your business