Better, better, better: Seven Sharp had a real edge to it last night

The sharper image: Greg Boyed

I am at this very moment preparing my invoice to send to Raewyn Rasch, the Executive Producer of Seven Sharp.

You may recall that Raewyn wrote to me, unhappy with my early comments about her programme. Very early, come  to think of it – a week before the programme even went to air. The omens, I’d said, weren’t looking good.

Well, they still weren’t looking good a week into the show and I wrote another fairly lengthy post saying what I thought was wrong and, by implication, needed fixing [read "Two's company, Three's a crowd" - Editor].

And then came last night, Tuesday.  And Tuesday was different. Tuesday’s programme had a real edge to it, the very thing I’d said was missing from the earlier shows.

The banter was sharper, more Paul Henry and less Play School.

And the tag-team interviewing had been largely abandoned.

There was Greg Boyed manfully attempting to do the impossible – get a straight answer from Winston Peters; and Ali Mau doing an interview with Investigate magazine publisher Ian Wishart, who had brought us NZ First MP Richard Prosser’s thoughtful views on ‘Wogistan’. The interview was a model of its type.

And finally, a really interesting item on just how long you can survive in the open sea without a life-jacket.

All in all, a nice example of what you might call ‘palatable current affairs’.

Which is ironic really when you consider that last night was also the first night that Campbell Live [featuring a lowbrow Marmite story - Editor] beat its opposition on One with 352,600 viewers against Seven Sharp’s 296,700.

My unsolicited advice to Raewyn Rash would be not to be discouraged by last night’s figures which are a reflection of viewers’ response to the previous eight days and not to last night’s show. Stick with it.

Though can I please make one suggestion to Greg Boyed. It isn’t necessary in a probing interview to look and sound so angry that you’d like to climb across the desk  and throttle your interviewee. Winston can be annoying, but not that annoying. And he has the sweetest smile.

Media trainer and commentator Dr Brian Edwards blogs at Brian Edwards Media

It's a terrible show. The jokes are horrid, the audio in this on demand clip is very amateur - perhaps the TV version was different ... but the content would still be low grade

Excuse me, but what was the "edge"? Turned TV1 on last evening, but such banal diatribe and at least one presenter sitting there superflous to the conversation that we turned to TV3 and altho not enamoured with Campbell, the content was more interesting in a more mature format. As a Rabo Direct customer I am appalled that they are not pulling the plug on the funding as I doubt they are scoring any points from Seven Sharp.

I turned on to Seven Sharp and saw Ian Wishart. I turned back to 3. Watched the ads until JC came back on.

Brian, was your article paid for by TVNZ?

Of course, just like all my previous articles were paid for by TV3. Cretin!

Too little, too late.

If last night's Seven Sharp presentation is Brian Edwards' idea of 'a real edge', I wouldn't like to see his idea of 'blunt and dull'.

It's still awful. The comic relief muppet has about as much personality as a plank of wood, and raises far more cringes than smiles in this house. The whole thing is a little like What Now at 7pm. TV3 deserves to come out on top here; for some time now their news and current affairs, while not without faults, has vastly outflanked the ever dumber offerings from TVNZ.

Totally agree with your last sentence.

Please change this show to 7am ... we're still all sleepy & not paying attention

Are you kidding? This show is such total and complete cr*p. I heard one of these clowns who are presenting talk about discussing a topical issue withtheir mates in Grey Lynn when I watched it last week. As if 99 percent of New Zealand gives a toss about the opinions of that dumpy jafa suburb overrun by hispters and wimps who want a piece of the cafe culture.

TVNZ have dug themselves a big hole, they have gone from dominating the slot to trailing in a matter of days. Did anyone apart from the exec's there think this type of show was actually going to work? Because I have yet to meet anyone who thought the idea was good from the start.

Why does it take three presenters for what is effectively a little over 20 minutes of programming?

Suspect Baby Boomers just don't get it. The GenWhys find it comforting and GenExs are busy tweeting... It's a halfway house to new media and go TVNZ for being innovative yet again!

Ouch. You are quite correct. I recall when "Holmes" was first delivered up it took a while to attract an audience. The same happened in Radioland when 1ZB in Auckland became Newstalk. This was "new media". As much as I dislike this new show I commend TV1 for trying something new.

Since when did Brian Edward's opinions carry enough weight for him to be adopted by the NBR?

Wasn't he Helen Clark's hagiographer? Is anyone taking him seriously?

Gold Index 1233.8 -1.760 2014-10-14T00: