“Hon Dr Robert Fisher, QC, has confirmed the report by former judge Justice Ian Binnie, QC, is flawed and would not withstand scrutiny," Justice Minister Judith Collins says.
“Mr Bain has asked the Government, on behalf of New Zealanders, to consider his claim for compensation.
“It would be unacceptable to me and unfair for New Zealand generally and for Mr Bain, to take a recommendation to Cabinet for compensation based on a flawed report.
“Given the high level of public and media interest in this issue, and to respond to Mr Bain’s supporters and Mr Binnie’s calls to release the reports, I have decided to make both reports public.
"I think this is also important in the interests of transparency of process,” Ms Collins says.
More to come.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- How John Key could split Labour, A tale of two funds, Why isn’t the NXT market working?
- Briefcase: Welcome to the Bar and other stories, Chris Cairns' legal star turn
- Manuka honey producers seek same name protection accorded to champagne, scotch whisky
- Silver Fern board goes on the attack
- Turbulence for travel industry as franchisees refuse deal