BMW says 2012 was its best year on record for new car sales, according to Motor Industry Association figures.
There were 1640 BMW passenger vehicles registered in New Zealand last year, blitzing the previous record of 1585 in 2005.
The result also makes BMW the best-selling luxury car brand.
Audi was the second-most popular luxury brand with 1540 new cars sold, followed by Mercedes-Benz at 1094.
The most popular BMW models were the 1 Series with 378 sales, the 3 Series with 327 and the X5 with 261 vehicles sold.
"The BMW xDrive range continues to grow and is again the best-selling range of luxury SUVs in the country," BMW New Zealand managing director Nina Englert says.
She says 2013 will be BMW's 30th year of doing business in New Zealand and will coincide with the release of new badges for limited release Edition 30 models.
It is also launching a new range in the coming months, the 4 Series, as well as a new 3 Series Touring vehicle.
The BMW 3 Series was last year awarded the NBR Supreme Car of the Year.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Sunday Business Episode 31: James Doty
- Week in Review: a wrap of NBR Radio's top stories, interviews and analysis
- Matthew Hooton: Little leaves centre wide open for Peters and Greens
- ASB's Kim Mundy and Realestate.co.nz's Vanessa Taylor on the latest housing statistics
- Rob Hosking: Winston’s hour is coming
- Hunter's Corner: High stakes for both sides of Warminger case