BNZ rebranding - thank the pigs

Gone are the stars of the Southern Cross, the gold chevron and even the venerable Bank of New Zealand name.

Because as from today The Bank of New Zealand is no more, and you might have to blame those cute little piggies in the ads.

The 150-year-old bank's logo is now simply the letters BNZ, in a blue, toothpaste style with a serif on B, which may or may not be a pig's tail.

The logo is being rolled out across 180 branches today.

BNZ general manager of strategy and marketing, Blair Vernon, said it had been 20 years since the bank last made any major changes to the brand.

"Our customers have been letting us know it's time to make a change," he said.

"We wanted a less formal look to reflect the BNZ culture of today. At the same time we've shifted Bank of New Zealand to BNZ because that's how most of our customers refer to us."

Mr Vernon said the old brand been around a long time and people had an affinity with it, but it wasn't the only brand the bank had used in its 150 years.

"The reality is the testing we have done suggested people didn't see it as reflective of the progressive, welcoming, warm friendly organisation we believe we are these days."

He said the warmth and approachability of the bank's piggies campaign created "a bit of a disconnect" with the formality of the old brand.

Mr Vernon said the serif on the B was not specifically meant to be a pig's tail, but some of the inspiration came from curvy nature of piggies, he said.

The cost of the new logo was confidential, but phasing it in over time was part of managing the cost, he said.

Getting rid of the New Zealand name was not a sign of changes to come with the bank, and the changing of the logo was in no way linked with the global financial crisis, he said.

"People will always have a view about whether its appropriate at this time. Clearly we started work on this some time ago. The reality is, yes, there is turmoil going on in financial markets. That's different to this exercise."

And the bank will not go the way of some companies and insist on lower case references in text, but will still be BNZ.

Some new colours will be introduced to complement BNZ blue and update and modernise the brand .

Mr Vernon said the new look will be phased in across the bank between now and December with all branches and ATMs across the bank's retail network expected to be rebranded by the end of the year.

All the comments about the logo needing change is just hogwash - if you excuse the expression. The BNZ has been around for 150 years, and the old logo signalled tradition, stability, & longevity, the old one new one doesn't give that impression. Waste of time. Bring back the old logo!

Waste of money. Instead better be more generous to your clients including me !

Why does NZ always have to change things? Time, money and effort is wasted on "re-branding" everything. Auckland city logo; BNZ logo; Bank of NSW; TEAL (Air NZ). (I note that Queensland And Northern Territories Air Services (QANTAS) didn't need to change its acronym - but then they're not NZers)

FYI Qantas have changed their logo five times - the most recent being last year...

I think the re-brand looks great, it's fresh and modern.

I think the new logo looks great and as everything in life is always changing this gives the BNZ a vibrant new look, well done it looks good.

I think the new brand looks good, it gives a crisper, more contemporary image.

I think its a great idea to do it but I think they could have a better job in doing so. Something more outside the box than changing the font & using acronyms.

What a waste of money. I'm getting sick and tired of hearing Tony Alexander going on and on about how, due to their cost of credit from international funding sources, mortgage rates will have to go up, and then they waste what is probably hundreds of thousands of dollars on this useless logo change.

Just like their excursions into the CDO junk bond market, this is corporate excess in the extreme, and the poor old Joe Bloggs customer ultimatly has to wear the cost.

Awww.... Would you like a tissue?

Times are a changing for businesses as well as personal behaviours and processes need to change to become more efficient and streamlined.
Without change we would still be riding horses and dreaming we could fly,
The new logo represents change and BNZ keeping up with the times.
I think its great!

New logo - great! This logo - oh dear God no!
A bank is where I store my finances. It's image, by the very nature of it's business is corporate and formal - I don't want it to look like playschool, briscoes or the warehouse. I my opinion, this new identity is seriously misguided. If I was with the BNZ I'd swop banks right away.

I concur with toy-town are us.

Speaking of tissues, I like the Handy adds.
"Thats Handy!"

- BNZ for life

In response to toy-town
'Swop?'...What the heck is a 'Swop'?. I am sure with your spelling skills BNZ is 'better off' without you anyway :).

Definition: swop - to exchange (something) for something else. This is the British variant of 'swap.' Toy-town's spelling is correct, so perhaps the smarty-pants who wishes to abuse them for their incorrect spelling should re-educate themselves.

New look is ok. But I think they should get rid of the pigs. Pigs are dirty, and eat anything, like a fat bank manager. Use a better animal mate hahahaha

Sorry snoop, pigs are better than daaawgs!!!

I agree with Notorious.

At least its still owned and run in New Zealand. Ooops sorry its an Aussie Bank. Only an Aussie would come up with something like that. It looks like something I could come up with on my laptop with 'Word 2003' maybe.

What was the last complicated logo you saw?
I guess you could have come up with the Nike 'swoosh' too?
Logos are supposed to be simple - that's why they are effective.

BNZ is getting rebranded - great! The logo they chose is not a good representation for them. Looks unprofessional and something drawn at playschool. I guess you can't argue if their 'piggie' campaign has been successful but as for me the pig reminds me of a fat banker snuffling around in the money trough looking for more cash! The new logo is definitely more friendly - and the staff at BNZ certainly are, but in a bank I want to feel trust and security - not playtime down at animal farm.

Logo's are meant to be simple, like the adidas stripes or the Ford oval etc. They are all logos which can be done on a laptop but I dont see you coming up with any?

Being born & bred in New Zealand, I have always been taught to spell it has "Swap". This isnt England so Arlette there is no need to be so harsh.

I think you meant "as" not "has" but you are excused. "Typos" happen from time to time.

I think the comments to the original 'swop' person who was told because of their spelling skills BNZ is better off without them is harsh. Swop may be English spelling, but it means the same as swap. I don't know why people feel the need to be smart to others for expressing an opinion by getting picky about how they choose to spell things - swop or swap, it means the same. Oh and I kinda like the new logo :)

Is this article about BNZ or spelling? I can't remember anymore. Any way it has been a laugh trying to read all these comments. Go ANZ or ASB or whatever the article is about ;)

They should bring back the Verve song "Bittersweet Symphony" as the their theme song. The current one is too oldschool.

BRING BACK BUCK!

...nothing wrong with the old brand and this one looks just like ANZ. At a time of uncertainty changing your logo to make you look cheap n flashy is a very dumb idea

In a time of uncertainty its good to show that you're fresh, unique and embracing change.
Sour grapes is a dumb idea too...
BNZ Rocks!!!

I like turtles.

The ninja kind?

- BNZ for life

BNZ is part of NAB. NAB don't seem to be aware of this change.....not a good look.

And why don't they want to reveal the cost of this change? Or does their new, fresh image not include being open about such things?

I think the new logo is OK, not the best I have seen, but as for BNZ being warm and inviting, more like unproffessional and unkempt, Have you been in the Willis Street branch lately in WGTN, it is so unbelievable, so run down its embarrassing, I am thinking of switching banks, its that bad..

I think the new logo is OK, not the best I have seen, but as for BNZ being warm and inviting, more like unprofessional and unkempt, Have you been in the Willis Street branch lately in WGTN, it is so unbelievable, so run down its embarrassing, I am thinking of switching banks, its that bad..

How do you know that NAB does not know about the change? Considering the CEO of NAB was the CEO of BNZ when the change was made.

Changing a logo, or more radically, changing a brand name needs to be thought about carefully at the best of times for any company, let alone a bank. This is not the best of times. This is far from the best of times. Changing a bank's logo in the middle of the worst international banking crisis since 1929 and arguably ever, shows how out-of-touch banks have become from reality.

Agree with the first poster, about the need to convey at least an impression of longevity and solidity (even if it doesn't necessarily match up with reality). Even if they had to change their logo (which they didn't and shouldn't) this logo evokes no more feeling of solidity that a freight fowarding company, rather than a venerable bank.

looks like the anz logo.......oops, just read in aussie press that rumours are of anz and bnz merger. If this is the case, great logo,

Google "BNZ Better off" or "BNZ" and look for the page title "BNZ Better Off". Looks like the BNZ is getting a good branding after stealing money for conservation!

To do away with the chevron is bad marketing. All that visual capital lost. The owner of BNZ, namely NAB, have a near identical lower case logo albeit a red one...a fairly poor leap of logic to apply it also to BNZ. It looks like something is missing. The lack of professionalism in the new logo, mentioned in a former post, is probably that something.

Companies like to change their identities sometimes, gets them publicity. Besides it makes the brand more inviting to overseas markets not being located in one place i.e. Royal Bank of Scotland became RBS, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation became HSBC now BNZ is the latest casualty, its a shame and like previous posts could of kept the emblem and made the font different as the new brand does look unprofessional and not a place of business. Perhaps the decision would of been different had is been in NZ hands!!

WELL LOOK HERE, THE DATE IS TUES 15TH JUNE AND THE BNZ REGARDLESS OF THIS VERY INSIGNIFICANT CHANGE OF LOGO STILL HAS VERY POOR SERVICE STANDARDS DESPITE WHAT THE "BROCHURES" DEPICT COUPLED WITH A LACK OF OVERALL EMPATHY FOR THE SMALL BUSINESSPERSON. NEVERTHELESS I WILL CONTINUE TO INVEST WITH THE INDUSTRY TO PROVIDE YOUR PATHETIC STAFF WITH THE "NECESSARY" TOOLS TO GET THEIR OWN SHT SORTED, NOT THAT THEY'LL EVER THANK ME FOR IT BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL A BUNCH OF UNWORTHY LOSERS WHOORES AND PMPS WHO HAVE NO REAL CREATIVE OUTLET FOR THEIR PATHETIC LIVES. YES I'M COMMENTING OF STAFF SERVICE INCLUDING THE SPINELESS WHO HIDE BEHIND THE SCENES. PROBABLY A BUNCH OF FAT LOSERS ASWELL.

I DON'T EVEN CARE IF THE MILLIONS I'VE INVESTED IN THIS PIG STY BECOME NOTHING MORE THAN PIG FEED AT LEAST I KNOW THEY'LL BE GETTING EXACTLY WHAT THEY DESERVE FOR TREATING MONEY BETTER THAN PEOPLE. MONEY IS NO BETTER THAN MAGOTS AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THEY WOULD RATHER SERVE JUDGING BY THE SERVICE I HAVE RECEIVED FROM THE TRUE PIGS THEY HIRE.

what are the names of the pigs

Gold Index 1196.6 -0.500 2014-11-26T00: