Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
Brownlee resigns – nah, sucked in badly…
Transport Minister Gerry Brownlee has offered to resign, although no one is taking it seriously.
The third ranked cabinet minister apparently walked in through the out door at an airport during a Christchurch commute – breaching airport safety regulations.
Twitter wags quickly dubbed the incident "gate-gate".
Mr Brownlee says he was running late for an aircraft at Christchurch and “without thought” broke the rules.
“My actions were thoughtless and I unreservedly apologise to those people who felt and were compromised by my actions.”
Prime Minister John Key says that “on balance” he has decided not to accept the resignation.
Mr Brownlee — who also serves as Leader of the House of Representatives, which means he is in charge of the government’s Parliamentary business — was unusually absent at the start of question time today.
Standing in for him, Attorney General Chris Finlayson was bombarded with questions regarding Mr Brownlee’s whereabouts, and whether, when he returned, he would enter by the right door or not.
Gerry and the pace making
Labour has also seized on the incident, with Clayton Cosgrove saying he has doubt's about the Transport Minister's airport story — namely that Mr Brownlee was "running"
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- 'I guess I'm back to piracy' — Auckland man as HBO NOW follows through on cut-off threat
- The Moxie Sessions: Will the last person out of Ohura please turn out the lights (but for the love of God don’t unplug the navigation beacon)
- Crying wolf as climate change takes a ‘hiatus’
- Dollar heads for 1.7% weekly decline after Reserve Bank rules out rate rises
- Rodney Hide is wrong on climate change