UPDATE: The show will go on, as TV3 works out how to fit Colin Craig into tomorrow's minor party debate.
A High Court judge has ruled MediaWorks must include the Conservative Party leader in The Nation's minor party debate tomorrow.
TV3 head of news and current affairs Mark Jennings told NBR ONLINE outside court that the show will go on.
MediaWorks will figure out how to include Mr Craig, he says, as per the court's order. (see the judgment attached)
The Nation producer Tim Watkin signalled to NBR ONLINE that he was unavailable to comment, saying Brendan Horan was on the phone.
UPDATE: Colin Craig has won an interim injunction against MediaWorks current affairs show The Nation.
After hearing an urgent application in the High Court at Auckland, Justice Murray Gilbert has ruled that MediaWorks cannot televise the debate as planned without including the Conservative Party leader.
MediaWorks had argued that including Mr Craig requires shifting to an external location as its studios do not have enough podiums and six leaders do not fit in a wide shot.
Justice Gilbert ruled that any inconvenience was outweighed by harm that would be caused by excluding Mr Craig.
There was a public interest overall in Mr Craig's inclusion.
Colin Craig takes urgent High Court action against MediaWorks over exclusion from debate
EARLIER: The Conservative Party has taken legal action against MediaWorks for being excluded from a TV debate involving minor political parties.
The debate is due to take place tomorrow morning on current affairs show The Nation and includes the Green Party, New Zealand First, the Maori Party, ACT, Mana and United Future.
The Nation producer Tim Watkin says MediaWorks lawyers will defend the hearing, expected to take place this afternoon at the High Court at Auckland.
Mr Watkin says the Conversative Party had contacted MediaWorks on Tuesday complaining about Mr Craig's exclusion.
Although the producers had been in talks with Mr Craig, they have now been served with legal papers, he says.
Mr Watkin was not sure of the legal grounds Mr Craig had for his argument, but it is understood Mr Craig wants a injunction stopping MediaWorks from airing the debate without him.
The TV producer told NBR ONLINE the line has to be drawn somewhere, and the debate was to feature party leaders who had been in Parliament before.
“We have to fit in as many voices as we can in a fair and reasonable way and had to make a call on who is in and who is out,” Mr Watkin says.
Mr Craig told Fairfax that ACT should not be included given that it has no MPs in Parliament. ACT had one MP, John Banks, who resigned after being found guilty of knowingly transmitting false electoral return.
"We've set out on the basis that we're the fifth highest polling party in New Zealand, we have maintained that position all the way through, we've got more members and supporters than virtually any other party obviously not National and Labour," he said.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Has Uber snookered itself?
- Government’s electric vehicle package just ‘political posturing’
- 'Under pressure' Weldon froze funding for Grain Exchange that led to losses, court hears
- Carry on: Qatar cuts back on A350, Singapore-Air France deal and more
- TPG to buy Vodafone Australia & NZ? Behind the rumour, there are real signs, says Budde
Most listened to
- Listen to the week’s top business news on NBR Radio’s week in review
- Prime Minister John Key would be better off doing the things he tells people he will do, says Matthew Hooton
- Paula Bennett is “thrilled” by the ban on three Wicked Camper vans, says Rodney Hide
- Michael Wigley says Uber may have inadvertently opened itself to action under competition law
- Tim Hunter on the Z Energy-Chevron deal