A 130m container ship leaving the Port of Tauranga this morning ran aground on rocks.
A Maritime NZ spokeswoman told NBR the incident occurred at 10:35am and Port tugboats quickly responded.
"The vessel has been refloated and is currently under tow - the vessel lost power leaving Tauranga harbour," she said.
A Maritime NZ statement said the ship involved, the Schelder Trader, had not reported any damage, injuries or oil spills.
This latest incident follows the grounding of Rena on Tauranga's Astrolabe reef.
The Rena salvage operation, including pumping oil off the stricken vessel, is continuing.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- 9 Spokes CEO Mark Estall on his company's progress since listing.
- BusinessNZ CEO Kirk Hope - Upbeat on the economy, but worried about private debt
- SecureCom director Greg Mikklesen on buying Atmospheric
- Balkan borders and Kashmir killings on Foreign Affairs Scope with Nathan Smith
- Ironically, Trump showed the lack of stamina he had accused Clinton of, says NBR's Rob Hosking