A 130m container ship leaving the Port of Tauranga this morning ran aground on rocks.
A Maritime NZ spokeswoman told NBR the incident occurred at 10:35am and Port tugboats quickly responded.
"The vessel has been refloated and is currently under tow - the vessel lost power leaving Tauranga harbour," she said.
A Maritime NZ statement said the ship involved, the Schelder Trader, had not reported any damage, injuries or oil spills.
This latest incident follows the grounding of Rena on Tauranga's Astrolabe reef.
The Rena salvage operation, including pumping oil off the stricken vessel, is continuing.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Sunday Business with Andrew Patterson
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- “The justice system never troubled itself in the most elementary way to get the facts to decide the case” - Rodney Hide
- Hunter's Corner: Is the ASX taking our best and brightest?
- Cameron Officer on the car of the week: Mercedes-Benz C 300 Coupe