High Court Justice Lester Chisholm has ordered Anglican authorities to halt further demolition work on Christ Church Cathedral.
The judicial review was taken by the Great Christchurch Buildings Trust chaired by Rich Lister and former MP Phillip Burdon, and ex-MP Jim Anderton.
They alleged that plans to demolish the cathedral breached the Act of Parliament which protects it.
Justice Chisholm ordered that the Anglican Church Property Trust must rebuild on the site.
But he also ruled that the church was not required to build a replica.
The result is likely to be a mix of a partly restored old cathedral with new elements.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Seismology Scientist John Ristau says this weekend’s after-shock won’t be the last for Christchurch
- ForBar analyst Blair Galpin's on Chorus' prospects for Friday, and further ahead
- Speaking from Britain, Rod Drury discusses Xero's progress there with Jenny Ruth
- Nevil Gibson discusses the politics behind the death of Justice Scalia in his latest Editor's Insight
- Matthew Hooton discusses regional investment in his latest column