Christchurch's quake-hit Crowne Plaza hotel has slowly disappeared into a pile of rubble over the past five weeks
The high reach "nibbler" tackles the top section.
The Forsyth Barr building seen background in the photo below will also come down. So will the PriceWaterhouseCoopers building just visible to the left.
Work also began this week on demolishing the Anglican cathedral tower in Cathedral Square, to the dismay of heritage aficionados.
Click any image to enlarge; all photos by Chris Hutching.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Dairy prices rise for fourth auction in a row
- Orion shares jump 9% after Leidos syndicate wins US defence contract
- MARKET CLOSE: Shares rise on TPP; SkyCity, Xero, Fletcher advance
- Govt lifts target speeds for rural broadband in drive to lift ICT investment
- Mixed reaction to Orion Health's US defense contract