BUSINESSDESK: Dairy prices rose in the fourth straight gain on the GlobalDairyTrade platform, with gains for whole and skim milk powder, the largest products by volume sold.
The GDT-TWI Price Index rose 2.4% compared to the last sale two weeks ago. The average winning price gained to $US3249 a metric tonne from $US3174 a tonne at the last auction. Whole milk powder rose 2% to $US3036 a tonne and skim milk powder gained 4.7% to $US3339.
Global commodity prices has slipped from the six-month high reached after the Federal Reserve announced a third round of quantitative easing last week, based on the Reuters/Jefferies CRB Commodity Index of 19 commonly traded commodities.
Still, the kiwi dollar is trading near a five-month high, which trims the value of overseas sales in local currency terms.
In the latest GDT auction, anhydrous milk fat fell 9.8% to $US3199 a tonne and cheddar rose 1% to $US3589. Butter milk powder fell 2% to $US3029 a tonne. Lactose was not offered in the latest sale.
Milk protein concentrate fell 3.4%t to $US5953 a tonne and rennet casein rose 4.2% to $US8145.
There were 146 winning bidders over 12 rounds. There were 178 participating bidders out of a total number of qualified bidders of 718.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Trump encourages Russian hackers to release Clinton emails
- Trustpower tax ruling: Government needs to act to clarify law for other firms
- Freightways chief pooh-poohs suggestion of headwinds
- While you were sleeping: Dollar gains on Fed
- Suburban intensification and sprawl outside city boundary - Unitary Plan
Most listened to
- Government will need to tidy up tax law in wake of Trustpower case
- Abano CEO Richard Keys on why his company doesn't have to pay top dollar for dental practices
- The Unitary Plan will change the face of Auckland. NBR reporter Sally Lindsay looks at the changes
- Rabobank's newly appointed CEO Daryl Johnson answers seven key questions on this agriculture industry
- In Editor's Insight, Nevil Gibson examines new revelations about downing of Flight MH370