David Bain has been found not guilty of the murder of his family - his mother Margaret, father Robin, brother Stephen, 14 and two sisters Arawa, 19, and Laniet, 18 – in 1994.
Mr Bain was found guilty of their deaths in 1995 but these convictions were quashed by the Privy Council in 2007. As a result he had faced a retrial for the murders.
The jurors came back at 4.30pm at the High Court at Christchurch this afternoon with the not guilty verdict. The jury had sat through 54 days of evidence and heard from 184 witnesses during this time.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- PM to TPP critics: 'We’ve never been sued'
- Deportation from Australia: Time to bring in reciprocal legislation, Fox says
- Australia will back down on deporting Kiwis — Key
- You'll be notified if Cortex is being used to screen your communications: GCSB head
- Directors’ share dealings tell an interesting story