David Bain has been found not guilty of the murder of his family - his mother Margaret, father Robin, brother Stephen, 14 and two sisters Arawa, 19, and Laniet, 18 – in 1994.
Mr Bain was found guilty of their deaths in 1995 but these convictions were quashed by the Privy Council in 2007. As a result he had faced a retrial for the murders.
The jurors came back at 4.30pm at the High Court at Christchurch this afternoon with the not guilty verdict. The jury had sat through 54 days of evidence and heard from 184 witnesses during this time.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Listen to the week's top business news in NBR Radio's weekend review
- Matthew Hooton discusses Labour's extreme left takeover
- Rodney Hide on how the TPP debate has become a moral argument
- Wick Nixon on how she's saving parents' sanity, one lunchbox at a time
- “The sky’s the limit”: Sam Snead on the appreciation of single malt whiskies