As list MP David Carter was elected Parliament's Speaker this afternoon, Labour's feeble nomination of Trevor Mallard takes the biscuit as an exercise in pointless political stupidity.
It speaks volumes for David Shearer's petulant inability to give up head-banging brick walls.
And here's the joke - Labour admits there would be very little show of Mr Mallard's nomination succeeding.
They were right - Mr Mallard tweeted his loss early.
Mr Shearer says it is a "point of principle."
Mr Shearer says Mr Carter saw him yesterday about the nomination but he feels it is too late.
On Tuesday Mr Shearer criticised National’s choice saying his party was not consulted.
Mr Carter had already discussed the nomination with the Green Party at the request of its leaders.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- A2 Milk chief executive Geoff Babidge on his company's progress
- Meridian CEO Mark Binns on electricity demand, pricing, competition and innovation
- Genesis Energy's Marc England explains how the company can keep market share
- ‘An abrasive guy but he knows how to hustle the cash’ – Bill Ralston on TVNZ’s new commercial director
- John Bowie highlights Kevin Roberts' gender comments in Briefcase