The Supreme Court has upheld a ruling declaring struck-off barrister Barry Hart bankrupt.
Mr Hart applied to the top court late last year for leave to appeal against a Court of Appeal judgment, striking out his appeal against an order adjudicating him bankrupt.
Chief Justice Dame Sian Elias and Justices Susan Glazebrook and John McGrath have dismissed the application for leave, saying they do not believe an error or substantial miscarriage of justice occurred in the lower court’s decision to strike out the appeal.
The three judges also said there was no apparent bias by Justice Rhys Harrison in striking out Mr Hart's appeal.
“The matter was addressed firmly and expeditiously at the Court of Appeal, but also fairly.”
Mr Hart was made bankrupt in December on the application of the ANZ, owed $34,000.
The Supreme Court’s decision follows a one from the Court of Appeal last week, ruling his appeals against ANZ’s mortgagee sale process of his rural properties were over.
ANZ is now free to settle the final mortgage sale from Mr Hart's rural property portfolio – the home where he lives in Waimauku.
Mr Hart was struck off last year after a lawyers' disciplinary tribunal found him guilty of professional misconduct by grossly overcharging some of his clients.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- IRD IT programme to lead to loss of about 1000 jobs
- Warminger wants FMA's 'catch-all pleading' refined
- The Budget in 60 seconds: 10 key points
- Privacy Commissioner says LinkedIn's communication over data breach 'poor'
- MARKET CLOSE: NZX 50 rises to record; F&P Healthcare result adds to upbeat NZ Inc sentiment
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- Matthew Hooton on Labour party’s reaction to the budget 2016
- Rodney Hide says the attack by University of Auckland over overfishing is nonsense
- Do social bonds make sense? Tim Hunter tells Andrew Patterson it’s not just about the warm fuzzies
- Cameron Officer talks about the car of the week - Volkswagen California Ocean