A South Island lawyer is being investigated for complex fraud involving client fees.
The Serious Fraud Office says it has opened an investigation into John David Milne after receiving a compliant from a New Zealand Law Society standards committee.
Two complaints about Mr Milne, a former lawyer with Craig Paddon Law in Christchurch, were heard by the society’s Otago Standards Committee yesterday.
They related to the way Mr Milne handled money his clients placed with him for investment.
The SFO says there are reasonable grounds to believe an offence involving serious or complex fraud may have been committed.
Anyone with information that may be relevant to the investigation to contact the SFO on 0800 109 800.
Mr Milne ran a sole practice in Dunedin for a number of years before joining Craig Paddon Law.
He has now handed in his practising certificate to the Law Society.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares fall led by Air NZ, Xero while SkyTV rally continues
- No 'end of error' at MediaWorks without new blood on board – senior sources
- Ralston slams Weldon for leaving MediaWorks 'rudderless'
- Media buyers praise Weldon's 'impressive changes and innovation' on exit day
- Weldon walks from MediaWorks
Most listened to
- Still hope for TPP insists trade expert Stephen Jacobi
- NZIER's Christina Leung says increased migration is putting pressure on wages
- NBR’s Jenny Ruth with daily coverage of the Ralec case
- Iraq nears collapse while China doubts its own statistics in Foreign Affairs Scope with Nathan Smith
- Mark Weldon couldn't hack the pressure, says Bill Ralston