Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
A South Island lawyer is being investigated for complex fraud involving client fees.
The Serious Fraud Office says it has opened an investigation into John David Milne after receiving a compliant from a New Zealand Law Society standards committee.
Two complaints about Mr Milne, a former lawyer with Craig Paddon Law in Christchurch, were heard by the society’s Otago Standards Committee yesterday.
They related to the way Mr Milne handled money his clients placed with him for investment.
The SFO says there are reasonable grounds to believe an offence involving serious or complex fraud may have been committed.
Anyone with information that may be relevant to the investigation to contact the SFO on 0800 109 800.
Mr Milne ran a sole practice in Dunedin for a number of years before joining Craig Paddon Law.
He has now handed in his practising certificate to the Law Society.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Craig Norgate, former Fonterra CEO, dies in UK
- Pacific Edge rights offer mopped up by institutions, says underwriter
- Court says building a business isn't part of running a business
- Old council HQ in line for a multi-million dollar conversion
- Greece's near 200 years of financial failure, political instability