A South Island lawyer is being investigated for complex fraud involving client fees.
The Serious Fraud Office says it has opened an investigation into John David Milne after receiving a compliant from a New Zealand Law Society standards committee.
Two complaints about Mr Milne, a former lawyer with Craig Paddon Law in Christchurch, were heard by the society’s Otago Standards Committee yesterday.
They related to the way Mr Milne handled money his clients placed with him for investment.
The SFO says there are reasonable grounds to believe an offence involving serious or complex fraud may have been committed.
Anyone with information that may be relevant to the investigation to contact the SFO on 0800 109 800.
Mr Milne ran a sole practice in Dunedin for a number of years before joining Craig Paddon Law.
He has now handed in his practising certificate to the Law Society.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- How might the government best encourage NZ space industry? Helmore Ayers Lawyers consultant lawyer Dr Maria Pozza explains
- Forsyth Barr's Matthew Leach on why he expects Xero to drop from the NZX 10 index
- Education consultant Sharndre Kushor says Crimson Consulting’s new website is the “Netflix for educational achievement”
- Nathan Smith breaks down the latest foreign affairs news
- NZIER's Kirden Lees and Rob Hosking discuss changing how the Reserve Bank targets interest rates