A South Island lawyer is being investigated for complex fraud involving client fees.
The Serious Fraud Office says it has opened an investigation into John David Milne after receiving a compliant from a New Zealand Law Society standards committee.
Two complaints about Mr Milne, a former lawyer with Craig Paddon Law in Christchurch, were heard by the society’s Otago Standards Committee yesterday.
They related to the way Mr Milne handled money his clients placed with him for investment.
The SFO says there are reasonable grounds to believe an offence involving serious or complex fraud may have been committed.
Anyone with information that may be relevant to the investigation to contact the SFO on 0800 109 800.
Mr Milne ran a sole practice in Dunedin for a number of years before joining Craig Paddon Law.
He has now handed in his practising certificate to the Law Society.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Warminger wants FMA's 'catch-all pleading' refined
- LinkedIn too slow, too vague after hackers put logons up for sale – and you could still be at risk
- Privacy Commissioner says LinkedIn's communication over data breach 'poor'
- Submissions on controversial media merger welcomed by ComCom
- Investors propel Auckland's rampant housing market
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- Matthew Hooton on Labour party’s reaction to the budget 2016
- Rodney Hide says the attack by University of Auckland over overfishing is nonsense
- Do social bonds make sense? Tim Hunter tells Andrew Patterson it’s not just about the warm fuzzies
- Cameron Officer talks about the car of the week - Volkswagen California Ocean