A South Island lawyer is being investigated for complex fraud involving client fees.
The Serious Fraud Office says it has opened an investigation into John David Milne after receiving a compliant from a New Zealand Law Society standards committee.
Two complaints about Mr Milne, a former lawyer with Craig Paddon Law in Christchurch, were heard by the society’s Otago Standards Committee yesterday.
They related to the way Mr Milne handled money his clients placed with him for investment.
The SFO says there are reasonable grounds to believe an offence involving serious or complex fraud may have been committed.
Anyone with information that may be relevant to the investigation to contact the SFO on 0800 109 800.
Mr Milne ran a sole practice in Dunedin for a number of years before joining Craig Paddon Law.
He has now handed in his practising certificate to the Law Society.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- NBR's Rob Hosking and John Shewan discuss the just released report
- Queenstown mayoral candidate Jim Boult talks up his chances
- Nathan Smith on the unsurprising US Democrat support of the TPP
- Mercer's Garry Adams sees upside in expats' cost of living drop
- What Australia needs now is stability, no more hopping around, says CPA CEO Alex Malley