A former Managing Director and a former General Manager from the retail gas industry have been sentenced in the Wellington District Court today in relation to Crimes Act charges laid by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO).
Ronald Peter Rosenberg (72) and Sydney Lio Hunt (46) were found guilty in April this year of dishonestly using documents involving at least $9.75 million of fraud.
Mr Rosenberg has been sentenced to three years’ imprisonment and $400,000 reparation and Mr Hunt has been sentenced to three and a half years’ imprisonment.
The pair had faced 82 criminal charges following an investigation into retail gas supplier E-Gas Limited (E-Gas).
The investigation uncovered that between April 2005 and October 2008 Mr Rosenberg and Mr Hunt deliberately under-reported the quantity of gas supplied to its retail customers by approximately 950,000 gigajoules.
SFO Director Julie Read says, “We hope that these sentences send a message that dishonesty, fraud and the manipulation of industry rules on the part of employees in positions of responsibility and trust will not be taken lightly and penalties will be imposed upon those who abuse their authority.”
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Sunday Business with Andrew Patterson
- Listen to the week’s top business news on NBR Radio’s week in review
- Tim Hunter asks: Is the government planning to hand control of water to iwi?
- Matthew Hooton on Winston Peters’ plan to become prime minister
- Rodney Hide on the technological development and economic advance in transport