Apple is planning multiple versions of a smartwatch later this year, according to people familiar with the matter, reports the Wall Street Journal — which has a solid track record of predicting which of the many Apple rumours will become fact.
The devices will include more than 10 sensors to track and monitor health and fitness data, these people said. Taiwanese manufacturer Quanta Computer is expected to start producing the devices in two to three months, the insiders say.
A number of vendors have been exploring the smartwatch market as tablet sales slow.
But no model of smartwatch has caught fire with consumers so far. One or two day battery life, the need to tether to a smartphone, and people's love of traditional watches as jewelery have all been inhibiting factors.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Sunday Business with Andrew Patterson featuring David Skilling, Bernard Hickey, more
- Matthew Hooton on Labour party’s reaction to the budget 2016
- Rodney Hide says the attack by University of Auckland over overfishing is nonsense
- Do social bonds make sense? Tim Hunter tells Andrew Patterson it’s not just about the warm fuzzies
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson