Google ignores White House demand, will keep Muslim mocking video on YouTube
Google says it will keep a video mocking Muhammad on YouTube, despite a White House request it be removed.
The clip has sparked violent anti-US protests across the Muslim world.
Google, which owns YouTube, did block the video in Egypt and Libya on Thursday NZ time.
However, the search giant says it blocked it of its own volition, amid concerns it broke the video-sharing sites terms and conditions and controversial content policy, which has a provision for whether a video meets local cultural norms.
Meanwhile, Twitter has yielded to a Manhattan Criminal Court judge and handed over an Occupy Wall Street protestor's tweets to a New York judge.
Twitter argued the messages were private, because Twitter user Malcolm Harris had since deleted them.
Judge Matthew Sciarrino Jr said they had been put into the public domain when Mr Harris posted them to the social network.
Prosecutors think Mr Harris' Twitter messages will shed light on whether police led Occupy protestors off the Brooklyn Bridge's pedestrian pathway and onto a roadway before arresting them (Mr Harris' account of events, which police dispute).
Twitter had been fighting a subpoena since January. The use of social media evidence is seen as precedent setting.