Google is back online after a massive outage that took out services from its home page to Gmail in the US, China and Australia. [UPDATE: Google has now issued an explanation.]
The outage - which quickly became known as #googlefail - as Twitter users relayed the news - lasted from about to about 2.45am to 4.20am NZ time this morning - or 10:45am to about 12:20pm EDT in the US, smack in the middle of people’s internet day.
With its own site down for many users, and very slow for others, Google used its corporate Twitter account to relay service updates.
During February Google extended Google Apps’ users 12-month licenses with 15 bonus days after an outage violated the company’s new uptime guarantee.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- The Greens' Julie Anne Genter hits back at Taxpayer Union attack on transport policy
- A stapled structure for Stride Property means better dividends for shareholders says chief executive Peter Alexander
- How did Sealegs make a profit? David McKee Wright explains
- ‘Organisations that don’t put effort into employee engagement will be the companies of yesterday’ – Kronos' managing director Peter Harte
- In Editor’s Insight, Nevil Gibson says a New Zealander is helping to unlock the potential of Africa’s cities