A Ngapuhi elder says Maori Party MP Hone Harawira should stop playing the race card and get the chip off his shoulder.
"I want to tell him 'we sent you to Parliament to speak on our behalf and not to behave like an idiot'," said David Rankin, a relative of Mr Harawira.
"Remember Hone, your grandfather was a Pakeha."
Mr Rankin, speaking last night on TV3's Campbell Live, said Mr Harawira's original name was Hone Hatfield.
Mr Harawira has caused a controversy by saying in a weekend newspaper interview he would not feel comfortable if one of his children had a Pakeha partner.
Prime Minister John Key jumped on those comments yesterday, describing them as unfortunate and ridiculous.
But Maori Party co-leader Pita Sharples said the remarks weren't racist and probably mirrored the feelings of many people.
National MP Tau Henare said he wouldn't mind if one of his children dated a Pakeha.
"I don't care who my daughters comes home with as long as they've got money," he joked.
High profile blogger Ben Gracewood weighed in with "I wouldn't date Hone Hawariwa, because I'm prejudiced against idiots".
Mr Henare said his mother and grandmother were "as white as driven snow".
"I mean it's the 21st century for goodness sake, the guy needs to pull his head in."
Mr Henare said Mr Harawira seemed to have a problem with Pakeha people in general.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Stack to the future: new tech centre marks major NZ data tech play
- Good news and bad news for Sky TV in Netflix' horror result
- Businesses say they can't afford to replace outdated equipment
- Vodafone reports landline gains, more profitable mobile mix for NZ operation
- Xero is beating Sage’s mainstream product in Britain: Drury
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- Matthew Hooton on the China-NZ trade dispute that wasn’t
- “The justice system never troubled itself in the most elementary way to get the facts to decide the case” - Rodney Hide
- Hunter's Corner: Is the ASX taking our best and brightest?
- Cameron Officer on the car of the week: Mercedes-Benz C 300 Coupe