A Financial Markets Authority investigation into director Jock Hobbs' involvement in Strategic Finance's collapse stopped last June because of his deteriorating health.
Mr Hobbs, a former All Black and director of Strategic Finance, died on March 6 after a long illness.
NBR Online understands Mr Hobbs’ illness could have encouraged the FMA to hit the brakes on its Strategic Finance investigation.
That included whether Mr Hobbs, along with other directors, had committed a breach of the Securities Act.
However, the FMA has just confirmed it decided to close the book on Mr Hobbs’ involvement on the basis of "medical evidence."
Mr Hobbs was informed, through his lawyers, on June 14, a spokesman said.
But the FMA’s investigation into whether other parties have committed offences under the Securities Act is continuing.
No decisions on possible charges have yet been made.
Strategic Finance was one of this country’s largest finance company failures when it was placed in moratorium in 2008, owing about $400 million to 13,000 investors.
It’s now gone into receivership and debenture holders have been returned 7c in the dollar, which equates to $26 million.
Receivers PwC said last week another small payment can be expected from property sales next month.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- SIR BOB JONES: Brexit was not a mistake
- Tamihere, Seymour clash over failed charter school
- Wikileaks releases 20,000 DNC emails as part of new 'Hillary Leaks' series
- Good news and bad news for Sky TV in Netflix' horror result
- Vodafone reports landline gains, more profitable mobile mix for NZ operation
Most listened to
- Nevil Gibson's Editor's Insight names those most affected by the phase-out of ETS subsidies
- Sunday Business with Andrew Patterson
- “The justice system never troubled itself in the most elementary way to get the facts to decide the case” - Rodney Hide
- Hunter's Corner: Is the ASX taking our best and brightest?
- Cameron Officer on the car of the week: Mercedes-Benz C 300 Coupe