Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
Parliament has raised the excise tax on tobacco after going into urgency on a surprise legislative move.
Associate Health Minister Tariana Turia announced the measure just after 4.30pm on Wednesday. It was passed 118-4.
The Excise and Excise Equivalent Duties Table (Tobacco Products) Amendment Bill provides for or tobacco excise to be increased in three steps over two years.
Tax on cigarettes will rise immediately by 10% with a further 10% increase next January and a third increase of 10% in January 2012. This took the price of a packet of cigarettes to around $11 a packet from midnight.
Being hit harder is loose-leaf tobacco – an immediate 24% increase in the excise tax is to bring it into line with manufactured cigarette prices.
As with manufactured cigarettes, further rises of 10% the next two years will follow.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- OIO judges Dotcom ‘good character’ – despite hacking, insider trading, reckless driving
- 'We've never seen a competitor in any category behave in this manner' — MYOB on Xero man's outburst
- RAW DATA: Lisa Owen interviews a British foreign fighter
- Orion CFO Rodney Hyde to leave after company reports earnings in May
- Key, Aussies at odds with Abbott over time-limit on Iraq mission