Hone Harawira says his “house nigger” comment on Facebook prompted Maori Party co-leader to change his mind and attend the Maori King’s national hui on water.
Dr Sharples has told media he will now attend, but has not credited Mr Harawira with changing his mind.
Mr Harawira, refused to apologise for his comments, made on Facebook, but – his brag about changing Dr Sharples’ mind notwithstanding – claimed they were aimed at Prime Minister John Key, not Maori Party MPs.
“I didn’t call anybody a house nigger. My comment was about how John Key treats his Maori MPs,” Mr Harawira said on TVNZ’s Breakfast today.
“They’re intelligent people. Intelligent enough for him to put them in his cabin. He should let them make up their own mind whether they’re going to go or not.
“He shouldn’t be treating them like he’s a plantation owner in Alabama in the 1950s.”
Asked if separatist agenda, Mr Harawira responded: “Last night I was watching The Block and this Pakeha guy dropped the F word. I checked, [there was] not a peep about that.”
Ironically, the two couples who appeared less than happy about getting $0 and $11,000, respectively, for their two months' work on the Julie Christie reality show as their house auctions stalled were both of mixed ethnicity.
“How come when I use a word ... New Zealand needs to mature," Mr Harawira said.
"I’m not the first to use the N word in this country and I won’t be the last to use it on television.”
Who can say the N word?
Breakfast’s English host Rawdon Christie asked, “If I used it would it be offensive?”
Mr Harawira replied, “Quite possibly. So try not to use that word.”
RAW DATA: Hone Harawira's comment on Facebook:
"What's the bet that Tari and Pete cop so much flak from Maori for saying that they're not going to the hui on water - that they find some reason to change their mind and say they're gonna go now (or send Te Ururoa). Knowing how the Maori Party works, they'll have to clear it with John Key first though," he wrote.
"Time John Key realised a few home truths like (1) he can tell his little house niggers what to do, but (2) the rest of us don't give a sh-t for him or his opinions!"
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Clinton regains lead with post-convention bounce
- Serious cybersecurity skills shortage sparks calls for better training
- Sage isn’t “relatively safe” says Xero’s UK boss
- Banks don’t like tiny apartments: a flaw in the Auckland unitary plan
- Gaming company founder after acquisition: 'we will retain control'
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- NBR Radio Rich List Special: Interviews with Rich Listers, philanthropists, property gurus, investors and much, much more
- “Trevor Mallard better watch out” - Matthew Hooton
- Rodney Hide on government spending
- Michael Coote thinks Donald Trump wants to flex his muscles by humiliatingly screwing over other countries