Apple will have a "tremendous" opening of the iPhone 6, buyback vendors tell Computerworld US.
Their predictions are based on consumers taking advantage of 30 day price lock-in guarantees for trading in their their old smartphones.
Two new iPhones are tipped to be unveilled at an Apple event scheduled for September 9. Release is expected about a month later.
The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg and others are reporting the two new iPhones will both have bigger screens, based on leaks from Apple's contract manufacturers.
One of the most well-connected Apple blogs, Daring Fireball, notes, "Throughout the entire rumor cycle for this year’s new iPhones, we’ve been inundated with reports of two new screen sizes, 4.7 and 5.5 inches. But while the physical sizes of these displays leaked early and often, the exact pixel dimensions have not.
"At this point, there’s too much smoke around the 'two new iPhones, 4.7- and 5.5-inch' narrative for there not to be a fire."
Apple's current flagshop iPhones, the 5s and 5c, have 4-inch screens. Most top-end Androids have 5.1 or 5.2-inch displays.
"There's tremendous pent-up demand for a larger-screen iPhone," Jeff Trachsel, chief marketing officer at NextWorth, a US company that buys used consumer electronics devices, including tens of thousands of iPhones each year, and resells them domestically or overseas, told Computerworld.
Mr Trachsel and others based their opinions on an increase this week in the number of quote requests for used iPhones.
"We've seen a lift of about 350% from the baseline this week," said Trachsel, referring to quote volume since Monday compared to the average of the month prior to that. "That's up from a lift of 182% last year, or almost two times the acceleration."
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Marlborough displaces Central Otago for best Pinot Noir in world competition
- Hellaby shareholder: Bapcor’s offer price is too low
- READER POLL RESULT: Who won the first presidential debate?
- Warminger complained of 'aggressive selling' in email to NZX
- Court rules against Chinese investor over $7.3m Auckland property deal
Most listened to
- Ironically, Trump showed the lack of stamina he had accused Clinton of, says NBR's Rob Hosking
- NZX market surveillance manager Fraser Wyeth gives evidence at the Warminger trial
- Hellaby shareholder Aaron Bhatnagar says why he thinks Bapcor's offer is too low
- No knockout blows in first presidential debate, says NBR's Nevil Gibson
- Intueri's problems raise questions for the board, says Martin Watson of the Shareholders Association