Online prediction market iPredict has launched a contract asking punters to bet on whether John Key will give a tacit nod for National Party voters to throw their support behind the Act Party's John Banks in Epsom.
Such a nod would, according to an NBR poll, give Mr Bank's bid to win the seat - and secure parliamentary representation for Act - a substantial boost.
The contract pays out under a variety of subtle and blatant signals from the Prime Minister, including a shared cup of tea between Messrs Key and Banks.
In early trading the iPredict market had odds of 83% for Mr Key to make such an endorsement, and this morning trading pushed the changes to 94%.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Dairy farmers need to reconsider 'smart level' of debt, Feds dairy chairman Hoggard says
- Credit card spending has dived in UK post-Brexit: Mastercard exec
- Accountant pinged for unauthorised car payments, conflicts of interest
- Brexit aftermath: disdain, the elites, and the warning for conservative parties everywhere
- US Democrats vote not to oppose TPP
Most listened to
- NBR's Rob Hosking and John Shewan discuss the just released report
- Queenstown mayoral candidate Jim Boult talks up his chances
- Nathan Smith on the unsurprising US Democrat support of the TPP
- Mercer's Garry Adams sees upside in expats' cost of living drop
- What Australia needs now is stability, no more hopping around, says CPA CEO Alex Malley