Budget airline JetStar is to trial Apple iPads on a number of its Australian domestic routes this month.
The iPads will provide in-flight entertainment with movies, TV programs, e-books, music videos, games and CDs - as long as a passenger shells out $A10 to "rent" one of the tablets.
Jetstar passengers can pay just $A10 to rent the iPad on board.
At Jetstar rep told NBR that if the trial is successful, the airline will look at rolling it out on transtasman flights our of Auckland Christchurch, and New Zealand domestic routes where flight time is more than one hour.
Apple announced overnight that it had sold 2 million iPads since the tablet's launch under two months ago, and that it was on track to sell 7.6 million for the year.
The iPad was released in Australia over the weekend, and is due to land in New Zealand some time in July.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Sunday Business with Andrew Patterson
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- “The justice system never troubled itself in the most elementary way to get the facts to decide the case” - Rodney Hide
- Hunter's Corner: Is the ASX taking our best and brightest?
- Cameron Officer on the car of the week: Mercedes-Benz C 300 Coupe