A Chinese dairy farm spearheaded by Kiwi dairy entrepreneur Howard Moore has received its first 3000 heifers from Australia.
Mr Moore – formerly technical manager at the Dairy Board and Kiwi Dairies – is the managing director of Taranaki Dairy Technologies, which is headquartered in Shanghai after he set it up two years ago.
His company is a major shareholder in the Heihe Zhongxing Animal Husbandry Company (HZAH), which plans to turn 50,000ha of natural grassland in Heilongjiang into dairy farms, according to NZ Farmers Weekly.
"The first 3000 heifers have now arrived. There will be a further arrival of another 3000 heifers within a few days," Mr Moore says in an emailed statement.
"This is a major milestone for HZAH and Taranaki Dairy Technologies."
HZAH hopes to be milking 30,000 cows on its farms by 2015, according to Asia NZ.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- NBR Radio Rich List Special: Interviews with Rich Listers, philanthropists, property gurus, investors and much, much more
- “Trevor Mallard better watch out” - Matthew Hooton
- Rodney Hide on government spending
- Michael Coote thinks Donald Trump wants to flex his muscles by humiliatingly screwing over other countries