Mr Milne was formerly Jim Anderton’s Mayoral Campaign Manager and worked for Labour MP Tim Barnett when he held the seat between 2003 to 2008.
The former Labour Youth Vice President, stood for the party in Rakaia in 2002 and 2005, getting thumped by National's Brian Connell on both occasions.
In the safe Whangarei seat, National selected Shane Reti ahead of incumbent List MP Paul Foster-Bell. Mr Reti worked in general practice in Whangarei for 17 years, and was a member of the Northland District Health Board for seven years, before being awarded a Harkness Fellowship to Harvard, in 2007.
Meanwhile, National's Murray McCully has said he has no intention of retiring from the Auckland electorate of East Coast Bays - at times mooted as a possible electorate for Conservative Party leader Colin Craig if National does a deal to help his party.
Yesterday, on TV3's The Nation, Prime Minister John Key said not decisions had been made at this point in regard to a possible accommodation for the Conservatives.
For his part, Mr Craig said would lose East Coast Bays to Mr McCully if the veteran National MP did not stand aside.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- In his Editor’s Insight, Nevil Gibson reveals New Zealand has moved up one place world competitiveness
- G3 CEO Mark Brightwell on the mail company's expansion plans
- In his Editor’s Insight, Nevil Gibson says the economics and politics of Argentina in the 1950s make interesting parallels with today
- Partners Life founder Naomi Ballantyne tells NBR Radio what Blackstone's investment means for the company's IPO plan
- Capital Economics' Paul Dales is picking the OCR to drop below 2% before the end of the year, on Currency Talk