Labour Leader David Shearer has reinstated Shane Jones to Labour’s front bench after the auditor-general cleared him of any wrongdoing in an immigration saga.
Lyn Provost this afternoon released the report on her inquiry into Mr Jones’ decision, as the former Associate Minister of immigration, to grant citizenship to Mr Yang Liu, also known as Bill Liu.
She found there was no evidence of any improper motive, collusion or political interference in the decision to authorize citizenship.
Mr Shearer says in a statement he is pleased to welcome Mr Jones back to Labour’s front bench and his return to full duties in the portfolios of regional development, forestry and associate finance.
However, he noted the report criticised processes followed by ministers and officials involved in the Liu incident and other high-risk cases.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Airways's Ed Sims says the growth in air traffic management will be hard to sustain
- In Editor's Insight, Nevil Gibson watches Auckland's four "true blue" mayoral candidates step out in Takapuna
- Cameron Officer on Singapore’s driver-less taxi in Car Torque
- In Editor's Insight, Nevil Gibson looks at Phil Goff, who at a forum in Takapuna spoke of the need to reduce population
- Meridian CEO Mark Binns on the Tiwai smelter and generation options