Labour Leader David Shearer has reinstated Shane Jones to Labour’s front bench after the auditor-general cleared him of any wrongdoing in an immigration saga.
Lyn Provost this afternoon released the report on her inquiry into Mr Jones’ decision, as the former Associate Minister of immigration, to grant citizenship to Mr Yang Liu, also known as Bill Liu.
She found there was no evidence of any improper motive, collusion or political interference in the decision to authorize citizenship.
Mr Shearer says in a statement he is pleased to welcome Mr Jones back to Labour’s front bench and his return to full duties in the portfolios of regional development, forestry and associate finance.
However, he noted the report criticised processes followed by ministers and officials involved in the Liu incident and other high-risk cases.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- NBR Radio Rich List Special: Interviews with Rich Listers, philanthropists, property gurus, investors and much, much more
- “Trevor Mallard better watch out” - Matthew Hooton
- Rodney Hide on government spending
- Michael Coote thinks Donald Trump wants to flex his muscles by humiliatingly screwing over other countries