Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
Labour Leader David Shearer has reinstated Shane Jones to Labour’s front bench after the auditor-general cleared him of any wrongdoing in an immigration saga.
Lyn Provost this afternoon released the report on her inquiry into Mr Jones’ decision, as the former Associate Minister of immigration, to grant citizenship to Mr Yang Liu, also known as Bill Liu.
She found there was no evidence of any improper motive, collusion or political interference in the decision to authorize citizenship.
Mr Shearer says in a statement he is pleased to welcome Mr Jones back to Labour’s front bench and his return to full duties in the portfolios of regional development, forestry and associate finance.
However, he noted the report criticised processes followed by ministers and officials involved in the Liu incident and other high-risk cases.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Dollar heads for 1.7% weekly decline after Reserve Bank rules out rate rises
- 'I guess I'm back to piracy' — Auckland man as HBO NOW follows through on cut-off threat
- Lubricant deal slips away as Commerce Commission nixes merger
- Xero CFO Jeffries leaves after 2 months in the role
- Carry on: 250 A320s for EasyJet, lower Changi fees and more