Maori Party wants $500 Christmas gift for poor families

The Maori Party is suggesting a $500 tax free payment to pensioners and poverty-stricken families with children to help them get through the Christmas period.

It has costed the payment at $136.5 million, and the party says it would help the economy as well because people would spend it.

The Christmas gift idea was announced by Angeline Greensill, the Maori Party's Hauraki-Waikato candidate who is trailing Labour's Nanaia Mahuta in the polls.

She said families living in poverty should get $500 for each child and superannuitants should get $500 each.

Co-leader Pita Sharples said it was part of an economic package the Maori Party had designed which included removing GST from food, raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour and cutting taxes for low income families.

"Food bank use and loan sharking is on the rise and this is but one measure to alleviate that pressure," he said.

I had been impressed with some of the early murmurings from the Maori Party but their latest offerings of trying to ransom the country into entrenching the Maori seats and now trying to usurp Santa is just too much.

You are in danger of justifying why Clarke pegged you as last cab of the rank.

More buying votes with free money (or rather the hard earned money of taxpayers).

I'd be happier with stopping the money go round & just reducing tax to the value of $500.

Let the schools and churches help with the poor for their christmas,I saw way to many takeing the last 200.per child hand out go for drugs,beer,lottery and other things for the parents nothing for the child.you just hand out that money it is not going to go for a childs xmas,maybe a lil bit of crack for the parents..The schools and churches hand out gifts and food for the children continue on with that..

i work every day and still need help around this time with bills so why not help people to make that one time count

christmas gift free sponsor for poor christian familes who waiting amy respose from christian charities and other organization because so many poor people hope for christmas celebrate joy full vestival

I am from india,orissa,cuttack.My brother is on medical treatment.Name is subhankar senapati.God is only for u not for me,i mean today christmas is only for u not for us.I am farmer's boy.I can't seen my brother's position.I am crying here nobody come forward to help me.plz u want to some help plz call me 009692240303.This is my friends number,tell him call subhankar.He always with me.But can't help money.

Dear Bro.in christ,

Here there is a family who lost their bread winner. Even they are struggling for good food. they are inneed of clothes for this christmas.Please helpthem by giving.

contact me at ravikiranp2006@gmail.com.please respond

It takes a big heart to understand Christmas, for children Christmas is a Magical time. We were all children once and sadly there are families who suffer the (No Money To Spare) depression at Christmas.The benefit barely covers day to day BASIC living and rent so how would it cover Christmas Presents? Charities are giving less and less to the poor because resources are slow and giving is not the hype it once used to be.Poor families do exist and honest good parents despair and are heart broken when they cannot give there children a decent Christmas. When your poor it is sadness watching the jolly shoppers buying and wrapping and store advertising booming Christmas spirit and goodwill but the goodwill isn't with everyone and certainly not in NZ.Please have a heart for the children not the parents and stop blaming the children for the parents actions.Imagine Christmas day and having 2-3 presents to unwrap? Well for a child that takes all of 5 minutes or less and boom that's it Christmas is over except for the Movies and watching American families have huge Christmas trees and presents stacked under the trees and food to feed and army and on and on it goes Just another day goes by and the smiles fade to disappointment . Children do not understand that money dosent grow on trees, so give the $500 to the poor and be it any race or religion every child deserves to be loved and enjoy the festive seasons we so happily celebrate on our calenders!

I agree with Sad Christmas...

Give the money to the poor and put a smile on the face of a child this Christmas and every Christmas.

This is NZ not 3rd World so Kiwis help your own first before helping some far away Country and goodwill will come around to your door.

Charity begins in our own backyard and since I am a free Kiwi thanks to my beautiful country then NZ is my backyard.

Merry Xmas Everyone.

Dear sir,
We are pray to Lord Jesus.
Greetings from Bangladeshi muslim convert christian family.
I have a two child one a daughter & one son. But we are harassed muslim community. We have no house, we are live in rent house. We are no help for christian church & community. We are hopefully pray for your organisation. Plese send the Christmas gifts.

I know well English

Regards

S. Alom Idris
Jhenaidah, Bangladesh

S. Alom Idris
Niramoy Medico
H.S.S Road, Jhenaidah-7300
Bangladesh.
Mobile : 01916 739720
E-mail : idrisalom@gmail.com

We are a very poor family in Romania, (2 adults, 3 children) with belief in God,children who I have with my wife aged 17,12,8 years, I would like to ask if you can help Christmas with some new food packages, toys and clothing for children., or if you can help us with a sum of money to be able to buy the children here in Romania all the need for Christmas (food, clothes, toys )
Thanks,
MARIAN
GOOD BLESS YOU
contant my e-mail:mariantome@yahoo.com

DEAR RESPECTED,
I am a poor BANGLADESHI university student(BBA,4th year).my father is a poor cultivator,he is unable to afford my study expense..He is now a physically patient..so PLEASE HELP ME...PLEASE!!
(GOD BLESS YOURS...
e_mail:tareq87.iu@gmail.com
cell:8801918688686

I am Gregory benjamin belongs to poor family my father works but not afford the Expence of my study, of food, and other etc...
I hope your Really Going to help us out and i thankful you For THat!

I am a working single mother of 3. I'm in school full time and we need help for Christmas. My children don't no that their mother is broke. Im not on drugs, I don't gamble. I just want my children to have a good Christmas. My family is going through a terrible time this year. If someone will sponser them and you have question regarding our situation, I will tell you. I don't want to post it on the internet.
monica_2002rn@yahoo.com

I AM poor indian citizen please help me..

I AM poor indian citizen please help me..

Gold Index 1228.6 -12.490 2014-10-23T00: