MediaWorks confirms Bowden to host X-Factor, subsidised $1.6m by taxpayer
MediaWorks has confirmed speculation that Dominic Bowden will host the X Factor NZ, which will screen on TV3 next year.
Mr Bowden, who has deejayed for MediaWorks radio stations, is currently working in Los Angeles with The X Factor USA (currently screening on TV3, Thursdays and Fridays). MediaWorks told NBR he was involved in "behind the scenes production work" on the US show.
He has previously hosted a primetime network show on American television, The Next Great American Band.
On September 14, NZ On Air said it had awarded X-Factor NZ $1.6 million in taxpayer funding, the same amount given to TVNZ's NZ's Got Talent - another show that is part of an international franchise.
Labour's Clare Curran rubbished the decision.
“NZ on Air is clearly bowing to pressure from the two major commercial networks to fund “commercially attractive” programme content at the expensive of its many other public service broadcasting responsibilities," she said.
"There are plenty of other original New Zealand arts, entertainment, prime-time projects begging for NZ on Air funding - and they should be given priority."
MediaWorks said NZ on Air would be a "miniority funder" for X Factor NZ, but declined to give the show's full budget.