"The cat lobby here is just as feral, self-centered and as barmy as your gun lobby is," Gareth Morgan has told US publication The Atlantic.
In an interview published on the magazine's website today, Mr Morgan says cat owners who deny their pets kill native birds verge on "explicit stupidity."
The controversial economist spoke to The Atlantic from Shanghai, where he said there was barely any wildlife due to pollution - although he added "Actually I think they eat cats over here."
That statement may possibly add Chinese citizens and diplomats to cat lovers, Phoenix fans and others unhappy with his recent outbursts.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- With MediaWorks reportedly closing in on a CEO candidate, NBR’s Nick Grant opines on what the role requires
- Infometrics economist Mieke Welvaert gives her take on this morning's merchandise trade data
- A new unlisted property fund has been launched by Vinta. Head of distribution Simon Donohue discusses why the fund was formed
- Parking makes sense in Cambridge company's big US win
- CMC's Sheldon Slabbert says the RBNZ will want the dollar to continue falling