"The cat lobby here is just as feral, self-centered and as barmy as your gun lobby is," Gareth Morgan has told US publication The Atlantic.
In an interview published on the magazine's website today, Mr Morgan says cat owners who deny their pets kill native birds verge on "explicit stupidity."
The controversial economist spoke to The Atlantic from Shanghai, where he said there was barely any wildlife due to pollution - although he added "Actually I think they eat cats over here."
That statement may possibly add Chinese citizens and diplomats to cat lovers, Phoenix fans and others unhappy with his recent outbursts.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- NBR Radio Rich List Special: Interviews with Rich Listers, philanthropists, property gurus, investors and much, much more
- “Trevor Mallard better watch out” - Matthew Hooton
- Rodney Hide on government spending
- Michael Coote thinks Donald Trump wants to flex his muscles by humiliatingly screwing over other countries