"The cat lobby here is just as feral, self-centered and as barmy as your gun lobby is," Gareth Morgan has told US publication The Atlantic.
In an interview published on the magazine's website today, Mr Morgan says cat owners who deny their pets kill native birds verge on "explicit stupidity."
The controversial economist spoke to The Atlantic from Shanghai, where he said there was barely any wildlife due to pollution - although he added "Actually I think they eat cats over here."
That statement may possibly add Chinese citizens and diplomats to cat lovers, Phoenix fans and others unhappy with his recent outbursts.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- NBR's Rob Hosking and John Shewan discuss the just released report
- Queenstown mayoral candidate Jim Boult talks up his chances
- Nathan Smith on the unsurprising US Democrat support of the TPP
- Mercer's Garry Adams sees upside in expats' cost of living drop
- What Australia needs now is stability, no more hopping around, says CPA CEO Alex Malley