"The cat lobby here is just as feral, self-centered and as barmy as your gun lobby is," Gareth Morgan has told US publication The Atlantic.
In an interview published on the magazine's website today, Mr Morgan says cat owners who deny their pets kill native birds verge on "explicit stupidity."
The controversial economist spoke to The Atlantic from Shanghai, where he said there was barely any wildlife due to pollution - although he added "Actually I think they eat cats over here."
That statement may possibly add Chinese citizens and diplomats to cat lovers, Phoenix fans and others unhappy with his recent outbursts.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Chorus CEO Mark Ratcliffe on why he's leaving and the regulatory regime
- “The issues are so enormous that it all seems completely overwhelming,” says Rod Oram. “But there is movement.”
- Xero's CFO Sankar Narayan on competitors MYOB and Intuit's results
- Craigs' Mark Lister on the Federal Reserve giving the Reserve Bank a breather
- Parliamentary silly buggers is starting to dominate the activity and effort of John Key’s government, says Rob Hosking