High-profile MYOB boss quits

Julian Smith during a TVNZ appearance

MYOB NZ general manager Julian Smith – often seen on these pages grappling with Xero boss Rod Drury – is moving on.

Mr Smith tells NBR ONLINE, "I've decided to move on after five years at the helm".

The GM, blogger and occasional TV commentator would not say where he was moving on to, though he quipped, "Rest assured that it’s not Xero". He is heading off for an overseas holiday before returning in April.

The Australasian company's Sydney-based GM of its business division, James Scollay (a NZ ex-pat), will be covering Mr Smith's role.

Although management will become more Aussie-centric, Mr Smith says there are expansion plans on this side of the Tasman. Thirty staff are being hired to expand an R&D centre in Auckland (not to be out-done, Mr Dury recently told NBR his company was in the process of hiring 200).

Key projects for Mr Smith recently have been the launch of new online products aimed at what he calls "older cloud companies" and a free company website iniative in association with Westpac which now has around 9600 signups.

ckeall@nbr.co.nz

Julian has been a champion of small business for many years. We have the utmost respect for his contribution to the profile of small business in New Zealand.

Julian has also done an outstanding job marketing MYOB in New Zealand. Especially capturing the small business commentary.

We wish him all the best and hope he remains in the small business scene.

Rod

Thanks for the kind words, Rod.

While we might not always agree on technology, I know both of us are totally aligned on the importance of the small business sector to a prosperous NZ economy.

The more support and encouragement the government, business leaders and community can provide for small business owners the better. Rest assured, I’ll continue to be a passionate advocate.

Julian

I hope we'll continue to benefit from Julian's support and lobbying for NZ business. There is in my mind little doubt that the New Zealand SME sector has been the richer for his contribution over the last 5 years.

My business - like the other 9000+, has benefited from the Westpac and MYOB GetOnline free website and domain name initiative. Getting more than 9000 small business owners to embrace and leverage the online space is no small feat. Well done!

All the best for your future Julian. And like Mr Dury, I hope NZ business gets to keep you!

Perhaps Rod could entice Julian to join Xero.... what would it take?

Despite the obvious mutual respect between Julian and Rod (and that is good to see for all of us), Julian seems to have ruled out a collaboration with Rod. So "partners", I think the answer to your question "what would it take?" might be: hell will have to freeze over first...

Russia and the US collaborating on global and space initiatives? Who would have thought. So, my point is that one should never rule out anything. Time and sensibity heals.

WOW!

Julian,

Thank-you for your, wisdom, encouragement, friendship and support over the years. Thanks for being in my corner while I wrote my MYOB book – I couldn't have done it without you!

Enjoy your holidays – rest – relax – rejuvenate & recharge!

Hey Julian DM me your address and I'll send you a copy of my latest book Learn Small Business Start-Up. You can read it on the beach, sipping Mai Tais while planning your entrepreneurial future!

Any business in the small business space will be damn lucky to get such a talented and passionate team player as you to join their business :-).

Keep in touch,