Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
UPDATE: Labour has also just released its first TV ad. Scroll down for video.
National has released its first television ad for the election, featuring a rowing race as a metaphor for National keeping the economy going while Labour, the Greens and the Internet Party flounder about.
Commentators have noted that National's early advertising played it safe by keeping John Key as its poster boy on its hoardings.
But the new ad, which doesn't include a single politician, signals a step away from the strategy.
The video has received criticism that the music is similar to that of Eminem's Lose Yourself. However, National campaign chairman Steven Joyce denied any association with Eminem, according to Stuff.
National keeps its advertising partners confidential, with campaign manager Jo de Joux telling NBR: "We work with independent contractors, a number of whom we have worked with in the past."
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- 'I guess I'm back to piracy' — Auckland man as HBO NOW follows through on cut-off threat
- The Moxie Sessions: Will the last person out of Ohura please turn out the lights (but for the love of God don’t unplug the navigation beacon)
- Crying wolf as climate change takes a ‘hiatus’
- Rodney Hide is wrong on climate change
- Don’t laugh: Winston’s plan to be PM