Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
Career diplomat Paul Foster-Bell will be confirmed soon to replace resigning MP Jackie Blue on National's parliamentary list.
This follows a statement this afternoon from former National List MP and next on the list, Paul Quinn, that he will not be taking up the seat.
Mr Quinn says he is engaged in a series of commercial projects and is fully committed to his expanding business interests.
National Party general manager Greg Hamilton told NBR ONLINE Mr Foster-Bell, who is currently deputy head of the New Zealand mission in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, was expected to soon formally accept the seat.
Otago and Oxford educated, Mr Foster-Bell campaigned for the party vote in Wellington Central in 2011 and is ranked 56 on the party list – the highest-ranked new electorate candidate.
Among his many interests are archaeology (which he studied), gadgets, Winston Churchill, Handel, Radiohead, Richard Dawkins, James Bond, Yes Minister, The Thick of It, House of Cards, Dad's Army, Bottom, Are You Being Served?, Spooks, Blackadder and FawltyTowers.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Apple Fields' directors fined $30,000 over filing omissions
- Sanford first-half profit falls 18% on mussel plant closure, fleet write-downs
- New health and safety law likely to be softened on small employers' fears
- Contact cans offshore geothermal plans, gives 50cps special dividend
- Nuplex balance sheet strong enough to fund capital intentions, organic growth