New Zealanders were most interested in Kim Dotcom, X Factor Australia and Whitney Houston in 2012 according to the most popular Google searches.
Google has released its Zeitgeist list of top searches, which it breaks down by countrey and category.
The most searched-for sports terms were the cricket website Cricinfo, NRL and NBA, followed by the All Blacks and Super 15.
Pizza Hut and Hell Pizza topped food and drink searches, while the most popular 'how-to' search was: 'How to screenshot'.
'How to love' came second.
"How to poke" came in eighth.
The most searched-for song lyric was for Psy's 'Gangnam Style', despite the fact it is in Korean.
Pancake, banana cake and chocolate were the most popular food searches, while top foreign news sites were the BBC, Sydney Morning Herald and the Courier Post.
Overall, the top searches were:
- Volvo Ocean Race
- One Direction
- Whitney Houston
- Gangnam Style
- Hurricane Sandy
The full list (plus lists for other countries) is here: http://www.google.com/zeitgeist/2012/
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- The kiwi dollar has spiked against the pound in one of the biggest one day currency moves in history. NBR’s Jason Walls breaks down the dollar’s movement
- What Brexit now means for NZ, with NZIER John Ballingall
- Dr Oliver Hartwich says everyone should stay calm and carry on
- Matthew Hooton on making a moral case for social capital