The 80 year-old Ngapuhi iwi kuia, Titewhai Harawira, says now is the time for the country's largest Maori tribe to settle its claim with the Crown to redress grievances under the Treaty of Waitangi.
In the latest sign that the 125,000-strong iwi may settle ahead of this year's general election, Harawira issued a two-page statement under the letterhead of Tuhornuku, the independent authority mandated to settle the claims after years of friction that have not fully subsided between competing elements of the tribe.
While media reports on Waitangi Day last month put a figure of $500 million on Ngapuhi's ambitions for settlement, tribal sources have indicated a sum of around half that size is more realistically expected.
Labour MP and Ngapuhi member Shane Jones told the National Business Review on Feb. 24 that he believed a figure "in the vicinity" of $250 million was necessary "if you are going to deal with it adequately."
He described the half billion dollar figure as "getting out into the universe somewhere near the planet Uranus."
In today's statement, Harawira says "the only thing that will stop us progressing is ourselves."
The mother of Hone Harawira, the only sitting MP for the left-wing Mana Party who jealously guards her role as the Prime Minister's escort on the Waitangi marae at the annual Waitangi Day celebrations, said the next step for Ngapuhi was "to agree on our terms of negotiations, including how we're going to treat each other while on this journey."
No negotiating mandate had been sought ahead of last year's historic Waitangi Tribunal hearings on Ngapuhi's extensive claims against the Crown, but it was possible to move forward now that the hearings was completed and ahead of the tribunal's findings.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Markets deliver tough punishment on 'bungled' Brexit vote
- Shewan report measures possible by end of year
- NZ dollar hits three-year high against British pound
- Laura Ashley exits NZ as Australian business finds a buyer
- Oxford boffin: the end of the internal combustion engine-powered car in 10 to 15 years
Most listened to
- Trade Minister Todd McClay says plans for an FTA with the EU will not be hindered by the Brexit
- Oxford University academic Malcolm McCulloch predicts the imminent death of the internal combustion engine
- Ministry of Transport chief executive Martin Matthews says private car ownership is soon to be a thing of the past
- DDB chief strategy officer Rupert Price on how referendums are just research
- Govt performing an awkward political U turn on foreign trusts. Rob Hosking with John Shewan and John Key