Synlait Milk's Chinese and New Zealand shareholders still want to list the company's shares on the NZX, but there will be no float in the near future, the Dunsandel milk processor's chief executive John Penno says.
"At some stage, it [a share float] is on the agenda in that both shareholders believe long term it's the best place to have it sitting," he told BusinessDesk after Synlait Milk announced a maiden profit for the year to July 31 of $6.3 million.
Plans to float the company with a $150 million initial public offering were abandoned three years ago for lack of investor appetite after the global financial crisis and Chinese food producer Bright Dairy came on board as 51% shareholder, with Synlait Ltd holding the other 49%.
Bright Dairy said at the time it would be considering a sharemarket float within three to five years.
However, Mr Penno says for the moment the company is paying no dividends and reinvesting profits back into the business, and that expansion plans flagged in this year's annual report would be funded from a mixture of retained earnings, new capital from existing shareholders and debt.
"We are a young fast-growing company," he says. "We are quite comfortable leaving it for the time being."
Synlait Milk's first profit was earned on total revenues of $376.8 million, up 26% on the previous year. The company's accounts show it is employing property, plant and equipment valued at $214.1 million, up from $178.2 million in the previous financial year.
That reflects the company's investment in a purpose built infant formula plant, and upgrades to drying plant to allow production of "growing up" milk powders and high-value milk protein concentrate.
The company sees further opportunities for near term expansion, including installation of packaging plant for consumer goods.
Synlait Milk is positioning itself as a supplier to rather than competitor of major dairy brands in export markets, particularly China.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Fonterra targets doubling of China revenue within five years
- NZ dollar gains as futures market points to pick up in dairy prices, US holiday looms
- UPDATED: Fonterra shareholders evenly split on shrinking board
- Smartpay first half profit slumps 90%
- Trilogy profit triples on candle and skincare growth
Most listened to
- Trilogy International CEO Angela Buglass on tripling her profit
- Eroad CEO Steven Newman talks about his company's revenue increase
- What do the latest terrorism attacks in Mali and Israel mean? Nathan Smith discusses the latest foreign affairs news
- NZ Windfarms departing director Michael Stiassny speaks out after board exit
- James Mayo talks about SOS Hydration's growth plans after Snowball offer
- Michael Wood on whether he would run in Mt Roskill
- SAFE's Abi Izzard quizzed over protest of a caged hen operation at Pukekohe
- Nevil Gibson talks about Editor's Insight on the planned $US150 million merger between Pfizer and Allergan
- Taupo Beef’s Mike Barton on how to extract sustainable profit from farming
- Will the government lose on RMA reform? Rob Hosking outlines the PM's speech
- How could bookmakers recoup $16 million? Racing Board chief executive John Allen explains
- Nevil Gibson breaks down the latest aviation news