In New Zealand most job providers in the advertising industry are well-established international networks with parent companies in Australia.
The shoe is presently on the other foot thanks to New Zealand indie agency Special Group, which has announced the appointment of two globally renowned creatives following the startup of its Sydney office earlier in the year.
TBWA Sydney executive creative directors Dave Bowman and Matty Burton will join Special Group Australia in its Sydney office in November.
They saw their current agency double in size and revenue and picked up 19 new business pitches.
Special Group NZ managing partner Michael Redwood says the two creatives are “tremendous global talent” and will help with client services in New Zealand.
Special Group announced the startup of its Sydney premises in June with the appointment of Lindsey Evans as chief executive.
It is early days but the start-up has already won several new clients in a stream of competitive pitches including Red Bull, Paspaley, Marcs, Ecostore and Adoption Awareness.
Mr Redwood says this is a unique occurrence for New Zealand advertising agencies.
“Usually we’re [NZ] on the tail end of international networks and this is the start of something else."
He says New Zealand agencies have unsuccessfully tried this in the past but have failed because they try to manage too much from across the ditch.
"We don’t believe you can set up a ‘branch.’ You need a full focused and resourced self sufficient unit on the ground if we are going to achieve the kind of major impact we’re planning," he says.
"Special Group NZ will always be majority shareholder, with a large minority allocated to the Australian management team to provide a real motivation to succeed."
However, Mr Redwood would not comment specifically on the numbers of shares in the company.
The new Sydney office has six people working in the office, increasing to eight when Mr Bowman and Mr Burton join.
The agency has already produced some work – a campaign for Paspaley featuring Australian actress Teresa Palmer.
Special Group NZ has a roster of 30 clients including 2Degrees mobile, Smirnoff, Red Bull, AA Insurance, TSB Bank, New Zealand Trade & Enterprise, Unitec, Ecostore and the Royal New Zealand Ballet.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Where polls stand on the eve of the first US presidential debate
- Milford fund manager faces 10 causes of action
- Sky will take a gamble and put Westworld, aka 'the next Game of Thrones' on Neon
- Warminger stood to gain significant bonus, court hears
- Spark says 130,000 Xtra mail address at risk after Yahoo hack
Most listened to
- FMA counsel Justin Smith QC described Mr Warminger’s background and the pressure he was under to perform
- Media Snapchat: NBR’s Nick Grant ponders the Human Rights Commission’s role in RHOAKL racism row
- ASB's Jane Turner discusses what's behind NZ's widest month trade deficit
- Kathmandu's Xavier Simonet and Reuben Casey talk through the retailer's results.
- BNZ's Kymberly Martin and Massey University's David Tripe on mortgage rates.