The Paul Henry Show will replace Nightline
"This may end up being a knock off of the letterman and Leno shows in the US."Featured comment
Nov 1: The Paul Henry Show will replace Nightline in the new year, MediaWorks says.
The show will see the controversial broadcaster wrapping up the day’s events every weeknight at 10.30pm on TV3.
The network says most Nightline staff are already working across other news shows as well, and that some will work on Mr Henry's new vehicle too.
Henry deserves a second shot - Brian Edwards
OCT 25: Media commentator Brian Edwards says Paul Henry should be given a second chance.Old grievances should be set aside.. Mr Henry has done his penance.
“Paul be a bit of a risk but it is part of his appeal and so in terms of ratings the risk will be worth it.”
However Dr Edwards is not so sure whether there is a gap in the market for Mr Henry’s show.
“We already have hilarious current affairs on Seven Sharp. I guess it depends on your definition of hilarious.”
Dr Edwards' comments come as MediaWorks confirms the controversial broadcaster will be back on TV five nights a week, fronting The Paul Henry Show.
The show will debut in 2014.
"We're keeping the timeslot under wraps right now - I can tell you it won't be 6pm or 7pm," spokesoman Rachel Lorimer tells NBR ONLINE.
Paul Henry back - five nights a week
OCT 24: Controversial broadcaster Paul Henry will return to New Zealand TV screens next year.
A senior ad agency source told NBR ONLINE MediaWorks announced his return at yesterday’s new season launch in Wellington.
Media industry staff were told he would return for five nights a week on TV3.
He is expected to appear tonight at MediaWork's function announcing the 2014 season.
NBR ONLINE understands the programme format will be Mr Henry’s views on the news.
Mr Henry’s Channel Ten show in Australia was canned in November last year.
Since then has been featured on MediaWorks' comedy show Would I lie to you and in a Snickers ad for Mars confectionery.
He resigned from TVNZ in 2010 half way through a two-week suspension without pay.
Back then he said he was "astonished and dismayed" at the level of controversy generated by his quips about New Zealand's then governor general, and an Indian cabinet minister.