Petra quits Breakfast

Petra Bagust

Petra Bagust has quit TVNZ's Breakfast, in a live TV announcement seemingly aimed at heading off other media.

Ms Bagust said she had only ever intended to spend two years in the job, and had told herself she would quit when she started to go to bed ahead of her children. That time had come.

She said there would be a transitional period.

TVNZ spokeswoman Georgie Hills says Ms Bagust's last day on Breakfast will be December 21.

No-one was lined up at this point to join co-host Rawdon Christie.

Nielsen TAM ratings for yesterday morning (via Throng.co.nz) show Breakfast maintaining its usual solid lead over TV3 morning rival Firstline.

• Breakfast (7:00am – 8:00am): 149,450
  • Breakfast (8:00am – 9:00am): 130,520
  • Breakfast (6:30am – 7:00am): 103,940
  • Breakfast (6:00am – 6:30am): 48,990
  • 3 News Firstline (7:00am – 8:00am): 33,450
  • 3 News Firstline (6:30am – 7:00am): 30,750

Ms Bagust says she wants to have breakfast with her family.

One option could be to apply for a job going at TVNZ's new 7pm show, coming in the new year.

Ms Hills says Ms Bagust is leaving for personal reasons, and is not aware of any new project in the immediate pipeline.

I had TV1 Breakfast on this morning, and they were interviewing "yet another" organisation from the seemingly endless list that whinges about not getting enough money from the government. (i.e. the taxpayer). I said to my wife that I would far rather be watching the likes of Paul Henry having a laugh about someone called Diksh*t, then I swtiched to the Rock on radio, did have a good laugh, and went to work happy. The moral of the story - for God's sake Breakfast, entertain us, who wants all this doom and gloom continually.

What is wrong in us tax payers paying more tax to restore social justice?

The seemingly endless list that whinges about not getting enough money from the government. (i.e. the taxpayer) is yet to come up with a valid reason why I have an obligation restore "their" social justice.

How about this for a truly democratic concept. Because I pay a lot of tax, each year on my tax return I am given the choice of deciding where my tax funding is applied. Now thats social justice by earned right.

Enough of this playing footsie, already.

Bring back Paul Henry, I say. We need his intellect, sharp wit, irreverent humour and fearless derring-do -- to revive the near-moribund Breakfast.

Good news Petra is finally going,bring back Paul Henry i say bet the rating went down wen he left,breakfast is not the same without Paul!!

God I wish people would see past Paul Henry.

Paul who?

Breakfast television is for losers. Serious people are out working at that time of day.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee buddy. Wage slaves may be out working at that time, but not everyone is. The people with the real money are taking it easy, dropping their kids at school (because they can) or putting their clubs in the car for an afternoon's round of golf.

um, think you forgot the humble shift worker too... that sector of the wage slave brigade are also available to be watching, as they have their dinner after their night shift has ended.

Paul Henry made us laugh to tears and I have to totally agree with Graham on that. Petra was just soooo boring! I am glad she has quit. Nothing personal, but she is a lot better in previous shows she did.

Imagine Paul Henry and Rawdon Christie copresenting. Interesting thought!

Well done Petra – good personal family decision! And we DON'T want Paul Henry back thanks all the same - he has had his time. Leave him in Oz. And yes we don't want doom and gloom reporting either - we want factual and interesting and positive. How about giving all the great people working hard to grow the economy and NZ living conditions some air time - Balance is needed people.

If Paul Henry had any intellect or wit I would agree.
As he is bereft of all of these let him stay in Australia. Their paucity of subtilty is probably at his level and they deserve each other.

Forget Paul Henry , bring on Sally and Jamie to do the show .

pffffft

This is the biggest news to hit New Zealand since Shrek the sheep. And yes bring back Paul and the entertainment factor and end the fluff factor.

Paul Henry.. who? we dont know him in OZ. you can have him back..I hear he is a cheap shot and has being...

I love Petra. From when I first met her on CTV.

Another failed presenter in this slot. I hope they get a journalist this time and concentrate on news rather than human interest. TVNZ might be surprised what effect treating their viewers as intelligent might have on their ratings.

Bring back Pippa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!