Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
Petra Bagust has quit TVNZ's Breakfast, in a live TV announcement seemingly aimed at heading off other media.
Ms Bagust said she had only ever intended to spend two years in the job, and had told herself she would quit when she started to go to bed ahead of her children. That time had come.
She said there would be a transitional period.
TVNZ spokeswoman Georgie Hills says Ms Bagust's last day on Breakfast will be December 21.
No-one was lined up at this point to join co-host Rawdon Christie.
Nielsen TAM ratings for yesterday morning (via Throng.co.nz) show Breakfast maintaining its usual solid lead over TV3 morning rival Firstline.
- Breakfast (7:00am – 8:00am): 149,450
- Breakfast (8:00am – 9:00am): 130,520
- Breakfast (6:30am – 7:00am): 103,940
- Breakfast (6:00am – 6:30am): 48,990
- 3 News Firstline (7:00am – 8:00am): 33,450
- 3 News Firstline (6:30am – 7:00am): 30,750
Ms Bagust says she wants to have breakfast with her family.
One option could be to apply for a job going at TVNZ's new 7pm show, coming in the new year.
Ms Hills says Ms Bagust is leaving for personal reasons, and is not aware of any new project in the immediate pipeline.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- On the tragic deaths of a mother and three children – a dissenting view
- MOD Resources' Sams Creek unit slashes project value, resulting in loss
- MARKET CLOSE: Shares fall on Grexit fears; Fletcher, Kathmandu, ANZ drop
- Key sees three benefits for Greece if it returns to the drachma
- Economy doesn’t need fiscal stimulus yet - PM