Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
Prime Minister John Key fainted in Christchurch last night but has been cleared to fly to Antarctica today.
Mr Key collapsed after eating dinner at Italian restaurant Tutto Bene and was taken to hospital in a police car, where he was assessed by three specialists for about two and a half hours, a spokeswoman has confirmed.
The specialists decided he was still fit to travel to Antarctica this morning, although they do not know what caused Mr Key to faint.
The spokeswoman said she did not know if the prime minister had fainted before.
The flight to Antarctica was initially due to leave at six o'clock last night, but was delayed because of weather conditions on the icy continent.
During the three-day trip Mr Key will stay at Scott Base and be briefed on a number of research projects, as well as travelling to the South Pole.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Dollar heads for 1.7% weekly decline after Reserve Bank rules out rate rises
- Lubricant deal slips away as Commerce Commission nixes merger
- 'I guess I'm back to piracy' — Auckland man as HBO NOW follows through on cut-off threat
- Rodney Hide is wrong on climate change
- Carry on: 250 A320s for EasyJet, lower Changi fees and more