NBR ONLINE readers believe increasing the land supply and making resource consents easier is the key to bringing rising house prices under control.
Last week the government issued a response to the Productivity Commissioner's earlier assessment that housing can be made more affordable.
In a poll conducted on NBR ONLINE last week, readers were asked: What should the government do about rising house prices?
- Nothing. Let the market run its course (26%).
- Introduce a capital gains tax (17%).
- Increase subsidies for home buyers (2%).
- Increase the land supply/make resource consents easier (55%).
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- 9 Spokes CEO Mark Estall on his company's progress since listing.
- BusinessNZ CEO Kirk Hope - Upbeat on the economy, but worried about private debt
- SecureCom director Greg Mikklesen on buying Atmospheric
- Balkan borders and Kashmir killings on Foreign Affairs Scope with Nathan Smith
- Ironically, Trump showed the lack of stamina he had accused Clinton of, says NBR's Rob Hosking