NBR ONLINE readers believe increasing the land supply and making resource consents easier is the key to bringing rising house prices under control.
Last week the government issued a response to the Productivity Commissioner's earlier assessment that housing can be made more affordable.
In a poll conducted on NBR ONLINE last week, readers were asked: What should the government do about rising house prices?
- Nothing. Let the market run its course (26%).
- Introduce a capital gains tax (17%).
- Increase subsidies for home buyers (2%).
- Increase the land supply/make resource consents easier (55%).
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Wikileaks releases 20,000 DNC emails as part of new 'Hillary Leaks' series
- Businesses say they can't afford to replace outdated equipment
- SIR BOB JONES: Brexit was not a mistake
- Xero is beating Sage’s mainstream product in Britain: Drury
- Xero ‘stretching credibility,’ MYOB’s ‘noise’ – eGST war continues
Most listened to
- Sunday Business with Andrew Patterson
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- “The justice system never troubled itself in the most elementary way to get the facts to decide the case” - Rodney Hide
- Hunter's Corner: Is the ASX taking our best and brightest?
- Cameron Officer on the car of the week: Mercedes-Benz C 300 Coupe