NBR ONLINE readers believe increasing the land supply and making resource consents easier is the key to bringing rising house prices under control.
Last week the government issued a response to the Productivity Commissioner's earlier assessment that housing can be made more affordable.
In a poll conducted on NBR ONLINE last week, readers were asked: What should the government do about rising house prices?
- Nothing. Let the market run its course (26%).
- Introduce a capital gains tax (17%).
- Increase subsidies for home buyers (2%).
- Increase the land supply/make resource consents easier (55%).
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- NBR Radio Rich List Special: Interviews with Rich Listers, philanthropists, property gurus, investors and much, much more
- “Trevor Mallard better watch out” - Matthew Hooton
- Rodney Hide on government spending
- Michael Coote thinks Donald Trump wants to flex his muscles by humiliatingly screwing over other countries