NBR ONLINE readers believe increasing the land supply and making resource consents easier is the key to bringing rising house prices under control.
Last week the government issued a response to the Productivity Commissioner's earlier assessment that housing can be made more affordable.
In a poll conducted on NBR ONLINE last week, readers were asked: What should the government do about rising house prices?
- Nothing. Let the market run its course (26%).
- Introduce a capital gains tax (17%).
- Increase subsidies for home buyers (2%).
- Increase the land supply/make resource consents easier (55%).
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Jason Paris on Lightbox, and avoiding the 'race to the bottom'
- The idea Hilary Barry’s resignation will result in boardroom bloodshed is arrant nonsense, says NBR’s Nick Grant
- The Icehouse’s Andy Hamilton says GIVs should attract American billionaires like Julian Robertson
- Nevil Gibson discusses the spiralling descent of the Venezuelan economy in his latest Editor’s Insight
- Rob Hosking on what to expect from this week's unemployment data